Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Questions about making my own hydraulic hardlines for brakes.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:07 AM
TheMuhFuggin♂

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy
Default Questions about making my own hydraulic hardlines for brakes.

Okay so wifeys 99 Grand Am had a hard line rust through. I need to replace both front hardlines. My plan is to buy a long roll of the AGS PolyArmor brake line, a spring type pipe bender, and a flare tool. Already have several pipe cutters. My main question is do I NEED to get new hardware for the fittings or can I just cut the old lines and remove/re-use the threaded pieces.

ALSO, I've never actually done this. I'm quite confident about the procedure but I'm wondering if there are any tips I should know about before starting.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.
Default Re: Questions about making my own hydraulic hardlines for brakes.

Ok first off, FUCK flaring your own lines. It's a total pain in the ass. Just go to advanced and get pre flared pieces with the right fittings. Then just screw them in on one side and start bending as needed. until you get to the other side. That is definately the easiest way I can tell you how.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:16 AM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

X4678997543257898532
Old 07-07-2011, 10:17 AM
TheMuhFuggin♂

burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy

What do they run pre flared and how in the fuck can I tell what fittings I need? Are SAE fittings for 1/4 lines a universal thread... and why is flaring a line hard?? Also how do you keep the line from kinking? I obviously won't be able to use a spring pipe bender of there's a fitting on each end already. I'd love to do it your way sounds easier and likely nearly as cheap, just don't wanna make multiple parts store runs.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

Just take the broken one off and take it to the store with you. They will match up the size and tell you what you need. Then to bend it just use your hands. You're never going to get it exactly like the OEM line. Just don't do any extremely tight bends and it won't kink. You could maybe call the dealer and see what they have, but i'm sure that theirs comes in straight pieces too.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:21 AM
TheMuhFuggin♂

I guess if I go and tell the guy I need it for a 99 Grand am they SHOULD be able to direct me to the right length/fittings...
Old 07-07-2011, 10:22 AM
TheMuhFuggin♂

Dealer has NOTHING for hardlines on a 99 Grand Am. Original thought was to buy pre-bent but they don't have em anymore.

I think I may try and go that route after all. Seems like the line is thick enough to not kink easily. Thanks for the tips man.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Registered Member

No problem. It will save you a lot of time and really big headaches.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:20 AM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

IIf your bored you can fill the lines with sand to stop kinking but then you will waste time making sure you clean all the sand out
Old 07-19-2011, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

gs dewd has disabled reputation

Yes you can reuse your fittings as long as you can get them off the rusted line. Also the line size is probably 3/16 not 1/4

Quick Reply: Questions about making my own hydraulic hardlines for brakes.