Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Question about 5.0 mustang.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:28 AM
Zombies found Waldo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie
Default Question about 5.0 mustang.

Hey guys I just recently but an 88 mustang lx. It's a 5.0 5sp. Well everytime I accelerate I hear a whining noise. It kinda sounds like a supercharger. It doesnt do it neutral. The harder I accelerate, the louder it gets. I have been told it's normal, it's just the fan. I was also told it was the tranny, one guy said it was normal another said it was bad?? So I am stumped. Any help is appreciated.

Oh yeah also. Everytime I take a right turn. The car drowns out. Like its not getting any gas. I know its because the pump is on the right side of the tank and the gas rushes to the left and it's not getting any gas. but is there a way to fix this?
Old 05-11-2007, 06:36 AM

Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma
Default Re: Question about 5.0 mustang.

The sound might be the carbuerator.

The fuel problem sounds correct, do a Google search
Bowtie Bound?? ;)

Nigerian Hair is a jewel in the roughNigerian Hair is a jewel in the roughNigerian Hair is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by buugiewuugie
Hey guys I just recently but an 88 mustang lx. It's a 5.0 5sp. Well everytime I accelerate I hear a whining noise. It kinda sounds like a supercharger. It doesnt do it neutral. The harder I accelerate, the louder it gets. I have been told it's normal, it's just the fan. I was also told it was the tranny, one guy said it was normal another said it was bad?? So I am stumped. Any help is appreciated.

Oh yeah also. Everytime I take a right turn. The car drowns out. Like its not getting any gas. I know its because the pump is on the right side of the tank and the gas rushes to the left and it's not getting any gas. but is there a way to fix this?

Sounds like no one really knows what it is. Have you checked your power steering pump? because those like to whine a lot (not under accerleration though). Also check your air intake system/filter. it might have a hole in it. I have an aftermarket one,and when I give it gas,you can hear a loud ass sucking sound (which is normal). I have never heard of a clutch fan making a whining noise,unless the clutch is going out on it. One more thing to check is your grounds. A lot of time if a Car has a sound system,and the grounds are bad or in a bad spot,it will pick up all sorts of engine noise and anything/everything else.

As far as the car drowning out at a right turn,hmm. Best thing I can tell you is to check your tank to make sure its not loose or not mounted correctly. And a good investment that you might as well make,is replacing your fuel filter and pump. Fuel pumps on foxbody's like to go out a lot. I have a Edelbrock 255 lph in my tank,and it makes a pretty good "whining" sound when the car is idling,that also could be the problem.

Im not sure what that whining sound is,but if you have any other questions let me know. Im sure someone else will chime in though with their take on things.
Zombies found Waldo

buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie

Enigma - its Fuel Injected.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:27 AM
PDX
GoDucks.com

PDX is on a distinguished road

Whining has to be the power steering. Ford sucks at power steering in all vehicles except their vans. Great upgrade for my Bronco! As far as it cutting out on you I would definitely do what is suggested above!
Old 05-11-2007, 07:31 AM

Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma

Originally Posted by buugiewuugie
Enigma - its Fuel Injected.
Thanks for the heads up

Bar's Stop-Leak works well if there is one in the power-steering system.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:46 AM
Tattoo man

93civicgone has disabled reputation

the sucking sound is normal when accelerating i have a 90 gt and a 82 gt, they both do that and the right turn thing is only gonna be the fuel rushing over to the other side if the tank is almost empty, the problem there is on the rack and pinion, when you make your right turn its something screwy with that one side and its bogging the power steering pump down which is belt driven so it will lag the motor, its semi normall for the year of car, it def can be fixed but usually not worth the problem, you can crank the idle up a bit so it wont be close to shutting off but, pretty much your car is running pretty normal
Old 05-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Could be the water pump bearing or alternator bearing, I've had more than one car make whining noises that were linear with RPM. One was the water pump bearing, the other I never bothered to find.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:24 AM
TAINT PUNCHER!

Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby Slooby

Sounds like it could be the throwout bearing, mine would whine when you accelerate but wasn't making any noise in neutral until later. And it was the throwout. Its about a $30 dollar part if you know the clutch disc is good. if not then replace the clutch, throwout, ect. Also check your fluid because it could be the tranny low on fluid.

Good luck.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:39 AM
Sorry. Not really.

BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Could be the water pump bearing or alternator bearing, I've had more than one car make whining noises that were linear with RPM. One was the water pump bearing, the other I never bothered to find.
I was leaning towards alternator as well.

Quick Reply: Question about 5.0 mustang.