Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

proper way to upload ROMs

Old 10-23-2008, 08:08 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt
Default proper way to upload ROMs

So I spent my evening last night with jfish360 desoldering the stock chip from my pm6 ecu and soldering in the zif socket.

I dont think I can do much more down here at ODU since my car is 3.5 hours away in my driveway... But I did a bit of research on Moates.net (I have their Ostrich EProm Emulator) and they say use a program like 'Tuner Pro RT' to upload and burn ROMs, but further research showed that 'Tuner Pro RT' was a ROM editor also... should I just use it to upload and burn ROMs?

Also, does anyone know if i use slots 1-4 or 2-5 to solder in my HondaLog? I dont remember which one i leave empy... hehe
Old 10-23-2008, 08:29 AM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal
Default Re: proper way to upload ROMs

Chris (Fabrik8) will be one of the few ones who can answer this.... I know he does stuff like this....
Old 10-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You have an emulator. An emulator takes the place of a chip so you can do very fast changes during tuning, etc., but it doesn't provide any way to actually write to a chip.

You need a prom programmer, whose sole purpose in life is to write to chips. Prom programmers have software that comes with them, so you just select the device you want to program (a 27C256 or 28C256 or whatever you're using) and select the .bin file that your tuning software generates, and it writes the bin file to the chip.

Just to make it more confusing, some programmers can be emulators also.
It really depends on the brand and model of programmer that you get, the APU1 Autoprom setup on Moates would be an example of this (I just looked, I figured there would be one there).

So you need to buy more stuff! Just what you wanted to hear, right? So you could keep the emulator, and buy a programmer, or return the emulator and buy an all-in-one unit. Depends on what you want to do and what your budget is.

Now you know why there are a lot of flash-based chip replacement daughterboards coming on the market for different applications. Many of those can do emulation, at least close to real-time, and there is no programmer involved because the flash is written during the emulation process. The Hondata K-Pro boards are like that, and there are some others for a GM and some other stuff (none of which I'm familiar with at all). It looks like Moates is coming out with one sometime soon (Demon, listed on their start page) and that should work for your ECU also.

As a side note, I haven't done any PM6 stuff for a long time, but I used to make daughterboards for the non-chip-able PM6s to allow them to be chipped with a socket and everything. I probably have a dozen or so of those boards left somewhere, I'll have to find them and sell them sometime. Not much need for OBD0 stuff anymore though, so I just stopped doing it. Most OBD0 people never wanted to actually pay for anything either, so that didn't help at all.
Oh, and the little VTEC driver boards I made that installed inside the PM6 and used the TurboEdit VTEC program. No more bitching together parts when doing a Mini-Me conversion with a PM6. Those were cool, they had all of the parts for the signal inversion, a solenoid driver, and an VTEC LED too all on one penny sized board with pins to install in the missing auto tranny lock-up solenoid location.
It was fun stuff, I don't have time for any of that stuff anymore though..

Last edited by Fabrik8; 10-23-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

MoAr StUfFz?!

In case it helps, this is my setup:
d16a6 with a t3 turbo (.60A/R), built block, bone stock head.

As you can tell, im more focused on the tuning aspect of this build than the hp goal. More of a learning experience if you will. (cheap, fast, reliable... pick any two)
Tuning-wise, I currently have:
- 1 ZIF socket
- Ostrich 1.0
- Burn1 Flash-n-Burn (It's an unmarked black box with a slot for a chip and a usb cable)
- LC-1 Wideband sensor (controller is in the mail on it's way to me)
- PM6 ecu
- HondaLog? (Another item i have to solder onto my ecu allowing me to datalog...)
- TurboEdit (along with a basemap for my ZC in my crx currently... so I can tune NA before FI) and HondaLog installed on my laptop.

If that helps understand at all... So I need to buy an APU1 Autoprom setup from moates.net? I dont fully understand what you mean by a prom programmer? I'm not fully worried about burning a chip as of this moment... I dont plan on driving the car for quiet a while.
Im gonna go check out how much it is and if Moates.net has any tutorials or write-ups about it to see if i can get a better understanding of what it really is.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

This item is optimized for OBD1 GM vehicles. It will not support simultaneous datalogging and emulation on Hondas. If you are not sure whether this unit is the right choice for you, please email support prior to purchase.
That doesn't look like the item i need...
Old 10-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by ChokolAwt
- Burn1 Flash-n-Burn (It's an unmarked black box with a slot for a chip and a usb cable)
You're fine. That's all the burner you need. I've never used that particular one though, so I can't give you any support on it.

I just found this on Moates though, this is the software you'll need for the Burn1 to write to your chip it looks like.
http://www.moates.net/product_info.p...products_id=67

You do have chips already, right? Actually, I see one in the picture on the piece of black antistatic foam next to the laptop.

A prom programmer is a "chip burner". It reads/writes (programs) EPROMs, EEPROMs, etc. The ECU tuning crowd started calling them chip burners, probably because they "burn" (completely mis-named) a "chip" (*sigh*). Both of those terms make me cringe, but they're the terms all of the people that do ECU tuning have started using, so whatever. Kind of like "dry carbon", which is also a complete bullshit term and doesn't have any meaning outside of the aftermarket car parts world. Go ask an F1 team if their car is made from "dry carbon" and they'll have no clue what you're talking about, even though they use "dry carbon" to make pretty much everything. They just know it by the correct name(s).
You can call something the most useless thing you can think of, but if people know what you're talking about, they'll know what you what them to buy. But I digress.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 10-23-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by ChokolAwt
That doesn't look like the item i need...
Oh well, I didn't look very hard. It was just an example of a multifunction programmer/emulator though, just for illustration.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Oh well, I didn't look very hard. It was just an example of a multifunction programmer/emulator though, just for illustration.

okay, thanks for the clarification on that. So TurboEdit has a feature to allow me to upload EPROMs to my ECU? i found an import/export map function, but i cant find a place to send them?? *doh!*
Old 10-23-2008, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

I guess I keep waiting for my ECU to show up under 'My Computer' or something when I have it plugged in via the Ostrich... thus allowing me to drag-n-drop my edited .bin file onto the icon or something... anyone ever used TurboEdit and knows how to do it? Maybe someone who's used chrome before could post how you would do it and it might somehow correlate to it's predecessor (TurboEdit)????
Old 10-23-2008, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue

You can write to the emulator using tuner pro rt. Most programs can communicate directly with the ostrich though and write to it on the fly in real time. I'm not sure about turbo edit, but the obd1 editors do. On a side not I'd convert to obd1. Much more developed imo.