Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Profec B II Gurus need you help.

Old 06-16-2004, 03:14 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BlackSRT4 BlackSRT4 BlackSRT4 BlackSRT4 BlackSRT4 BlackSRT4
Default Profec B II Gurus need you help.

I dont have a manual but i would like some help on how to adjust this thing. I have low boost set to what i want, i tried the same settings with high boost and cannot get the same results boost wise. Someone please expalin the following and maybe a can gain a better understanding on how to adjust this thing, i've already wasted so much gas.

Gain-it seems like sensitivity to boost for the salenoid???
Set Gain- does this need to be raised as boost raises?
Set- i know this is amount of boost you want correct?
Old 06-16-2004, 07:27 AM
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF
Default Re: Profec B II Gurus need you help.

Congrats on acquiring the most confusing EBC ever...lol. It took me 3 months to get mine down and it still changes it's mind every once in a while and I have to re-tune it.

Anyway, when the display is at idle (showing your current pressure level) and you push in the knob, that is your the percent of WG spring pressure...in other words, your boost level. You increase the number, you increase your boost.

When you press "select" once, it is the amount of sensitivity the boost will gain. Too high of a number and you will spike/oscillate, but too low of a number and it will open very early and your boost will creep up to where you want it. My set-up is so strange that I have to keep this number below 10% or I oscillate like a mo-fo. It still opens late enough...BUT, you have to do this number in conjunction with the "set gain", which is the level of pressure that the WG initially opens.

For example: If you want to be boosting 15 PSI, and maybe you're like me and have traction issues so you want it to kinda open early and creep up (a more linear power curve as opposed to building way fast and staying there), then you would probaby want "set gain" to be at 10-11 PSI and THEN you just have to figure out the percentage setting per your application. But no matter what the percent, the EBC will begin to open the WG atr 10-11 PSI. Comprende? In your case with the smaller turbo (than mine I mean), you probably want that bitch right at 15 PSI immediately and stay there. This doesn't mean you can make the "set gain" 15 PSI and it will be there and stay there, you will surely spike and then oscillate for a few seconds, which as a very shitty feeling, believe me...I do it often. I would have "set gain" at 12-13 and the percent as high as you can w/o spiking, once agian, all abotuy your application.

I recommend third gear pulls on the highway with a second person that can watch the boost levels while you watch the road.

Hope I helped. Any more questions, fell free to post 'em. BTW, did you figure out how to read in PSI vice bar?
Old 06-16-2004, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

the profec can read both boost and Kpa(bar). i have the directions set to make it display boost. i have also found out that the profec's boost signal is off just a little bit its always of +/- in very small amounts so i go by my boost guage. i had it hold 18psi last weekend but it would hit 10psi real quick then fall back to 5 or 8psi then start pulling like a damn freight train up till 18psi. right now i have just the low boost setting working at where i want it to be 11 psi for daily driving. and if i want to be a hogg on gas i turn it off an boost 5psi. i am having a really hard time getting the high boost setting dialed in, i have wasted a lot of gas. A LOT trying to get high boost to work. i have even tried to duplicaate the setting off of lo boost into hi boost mode and it wont duplicate the results as lo boost. this thing is screw and very tempermental i have found. thanks for the explanation merf
Old 06-16-2004, 09:10 AM
Ghost

Originally Posted by BlackSRT4
the profec can read both boost and Kpa(bar).
lol...bar is a measurement of boost, I think you meant to say PSI and bar...and yes I know that it can do both, I was making sure you knew since you didn't have your manual.

i had it hold 18psi last weekend but it would hit 10psi real quick then fall back to 5 or 8psi then start pulling like a damn freight train up till 18psi.
That's what mine does sometimes, too..I call it oscillating, even though it's something else undefined I think, lol. Try turning the percent down 5% at a time and it should level off. What may be happening is that your "set gain" is at 5 PSI, but your sensitivity is too high for it to open that quickly.
right now i have just the low boost setting working at where i want it to be 11 psi for daily driving. and if i want to be a hogg on gas i turn it off an boost 5psi. i am having a really hard time getting the high boost setting dialed in, i have wasted a lot of gas. A LOT trying to get high boost to work. i have even tried to duplicaate the setting off of lo boost into hi boost mode and it wont duplicate the results as lo boost. this thing is screw and very tempermental i have found. thanks for the explanation merf
It doesn't make snese that lo and high don't correlate, but guess what...mine also di dthis stupid shit...like I originally said, congrats on having one of the most difficult EBCs to use on the market.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

yeah thats what i meant to say. PSI. when it gets dry i see another full tank of gas being wasted.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:53 AM
stop projecting

Aggression Aggression Aggression Aggression Aggression

I know this post is out dated but I have been having the same issues with mine trying to keep the boost level right at or around where I want it.

I think I have it about where it needs to be to run 7psi, but wanted to know what others settings are just as a reference.

Last edited by Aggression; 07-07-2005 at 06:55 AM.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:20 AM
Ghost

You gotta keep in mind that the EBC can only set boost levels as low as the WG can go. If you have an 8 lb spring in the WG, then you can't set the EBC to 7 PSI.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:29 AM
stop projecting

Aggression Aggression Aggression Aggression Aggression

understandable, but my spring on boosts about 3.2psi. If I turn my EBC off then I only boost about 3.2psi roughly!
Old 07-07-2005, 10:33 AM
Ghost

I didn't know there were springs that light.

Read the manual, if you have it, it's got the only real method to it's madness. Just start with the lowest setting and work it up. It's been so long since I messed with one, I can't remember the settings off the top of my head.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Everyday

BlackEJ BlackEJ BlackEJ BlackEJ BlackEJ

SELL THAT SHIT, and get this one:
Its a lot more user friendly and so much like the old PRofecB non specII.
I used to have the SpecII crap and I got rid of it.

Quick Reply: Profec B II Gurus need you help.