Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Problems with my Integra starting.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:04 AM
DGAF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie
Default Problems with my Integra starting.

The car is a 98 Integra GSR. Bone stock motor internally, just bolt ons. Lately, I have had quite a few problems with it starting right when I turn the key and today it took about 10 minutes for it to finally crank. I put the key in, turn it to crank it over but when I do, nothing. Before, it would just take a few seconds or a minute but it would always crank. The battery itself is fine, it was just replaced not too long ago. Once it does crank over, it does it right away too which rules out a failing battery. Also, it only really started doing this on the very cold mornings too. Any ideas?
Old 12-15-2010, 05:33 AM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default Re: Problems with my Integra starting.

Starter. If you can buy new (instead of rebuilt), do so.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:44 AM
Oh hey

TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr

Probably your starter or one of the wiring connections (small wire going to the starter from the battery, big terminal from the ignition switch). Could also be the ignition switch, but not likely.
Because it just started happening with the cold, it's more than likely the starter. They dont like the cold weather. Physically check the wires going to the starter to see if they are loose. Disconnect the little wire, get a friend to turn the key to the cranking position, see if you have 12v consistently. If you DO have 12v, buy a starter. If you dont, let me know... we'll dig deeper
Old 12-15-2010, 05:47 AM
Oh hey

TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr TiredToyotaDrvr

Originally Posted by marlinspike
Starter. If you can buy new (instead of rebuilt), do so.
Reman starters are 1/2 the price and 99.5% of the performance of a new one. Bosch also warranties theirs for 3 years, and will tow your car for free if it goes bad.

If I need anymore bad information, I'll hit you up. Good to have a source for that.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:50 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Get a friend to try to crank the engine while you check the voltage at the starter terminals. This will rule out problems with power, ground, etc. It's always good to check that because cold weather will lower the available battery current so any power/ground problems will become worse.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:53 AM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by TiredToyotaDrvr
Reman starters are 1/2 the price and 99.5% of the performance of a new one. Bosch also warranties theirs for 3 years, and will tow your car for free if it goes bad.

If I need anymore bad information, I'll hit you up. Good to have a source for that.
Bosch doesn't warranty their rebuilds for 3 years, unless maybe they have a special extended warranty for non-Mercedes. My first Bosch rebuild died after 3 years. The next one died after 6 months. I know techs who have done FAR more cars than you have who specifically list Bosch as a company that does below average rebuilds. Ever take apart the rebuilds, or are you just a parts swapper who doesn't actually repair anything? If you take apart the rebuilds you'll see how they're done by any of the large companies: find the single part that is causing the part to fail, replace that one part, put it all back together. This means all the other parts have all that wear on them and are ready to let go.

Last edited by marlinspike; 12-15-2010 at 05:55 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:59 AM
Oh hey

Bosch doesn't warranty their rebuilds for 3 years, unless maybe they have a separate warranty for non-Mercedes. My first Bosch rebuild died after 3 years. The next one died after 6 months. I know techs who have done FAR more cars than you have who specifically list Bosch as a company that does below average rebuilds. Ever take apart the rebuilds, or are you just a parts swapper who doesn't actually repair anything? If you take apart the rebuilds you'll see how they're done: find the single part that is causing the part to fail, replace that one part, put it all back together. This means all the other parts have all that wear on them and are ready to let go.
Implying you know something about me and what I do. Did I hurt your feelings?

This is a Honda, not a Benz.

EDIT: 24 month warranty. You were correct.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:19 AM
ATGATT

Originally Posted by TiredToyotaDrvr
Implying you know something about me and what I do. Did I hurt your feelings?

This is a Honda, not a Benz.

EDIT: 24 month warranty. You were correct.
Not implying anything actually. I doubt Bosch does their Honda rebuilds any different than their rebuilds for Benzes. And damn straight I was correct.

Not sure why you think you hurt my feelings though.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:37 AM
Oh hey

Not implying anything actually. I doubt Bosch does their Honda rebuilds any different than their rebuilds for Benzes. And damn straight I was correct.

Not sure why you think you hurt my feelings though.
Usually when someone responds to a sentence with a paragraph... their feelings were involved.

Let's get one thing straight though... you were right about the warranty only being 2 years. You couldn't be more wrong about the new vs. reman starters issue.

Anyway, if your butt hurts, make an SPO and gtfo of tech talk.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:53 AM
DGAF

Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie Delta Charlie

Thanks for all the quick and helpful replies everyone. I am going to dig into this problem tomorrow with the things said above. I wish I had more time to mess with it right now. Couldn't of happened at the worst time.

Quick Reply: Problems with my Integra starting.