Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Prelude won't start

Old 12-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99Lude has disabled reputation
Default Prelude won't start

Heres the deal....i go to start my car and the engine catchs but shuts right off and every since it'll just turn and turn but wont start. I had it towed and the ppl at the garage said it needed a new dizzy...So everything was fine for about a week, now it's doing the same exact thing..I had it towed in once again, now they say a censor is gon bad and its dumping too much fuel....Any ideas one what could be the problem, cuz im starting to think they have no idea wats goin on...It was a really cold morning when this started if it helps....Thanks in advance guys/gurls....
Old 12-15-2008, 04:16 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Prelude won't start

Any check engine lights?

There are a few things it could be; you should get a factory manual and start troubleshooting. I would look at the coolant temp sensor first (ECT sensor). It doesn't sound like anyone at that garage is too interested in finding out what's wrong, so you might want to go elsewhere.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:14 PM
Registered member

Nah...no CEL's...if they keep BS'ing around on it, im just gon ask for it back and take it to a Honda dealership that we deal wit a lot....they'll rape me on labor charges, but atleast my car will be fixed...lol
Old 12-15-2008, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

weldmatic has disabled reputation

sounds to me like the icm inside the distributor.

if the shop told you you needed a new distributor did you get a new one?

or did they just swap out a coil.

either the coil went out or the ICM was bad in the first place. I had some trouble with mine a while back. The coil will still give a spark even if the coils bad. just real weak.

you can buy a new coil and ICM but the cps wich is in the dizzy cannot be replaced unless you know how to dissassemble the entire distributor. Usually shops go with the whole distributor cuz generally its one of the 3 inside the distributor. easy but very expensive way out.

if they replaced the guts they might have a bad connection inside the distributor messing up the icm.
The crank position sensor might be checked as well as the temp sensor.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Well, at least the dealer will most likely find and fix the problem much quicker than whoever is working on it now. They'll probably hook up an OBD2 scanner and diagnose it in a few minutes.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:34 PM
Registered member

They just replaced the cap and rotor the first time around....
Old 12-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

that was the prob

i guarantee its a bad coil and maybe a icm but i doubt it.

the car will have a spark BUT it is not enough to ignite the fuel thats what stumped me at first.

a whole new dizzy will fix it guaranteed. but if you care to take it apart you can fix it yourself.

not sure how much a new coil is but for an integra an after market accel high fire unit is like 50bux. the oem is around 80 it is very easy to do.

Last edited by weldmatic; 12-15-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

its kinda funny. on my girls civic i replaced the cap rotor and wires at first...... 2 days later.... dead in hrbt. replaced the coil...... going on a year with no probs

give duane a call at affordable automotive....they can fix it plus i think he gives a dragva discount

pm nfatuatn for his number as i dont want to run into any trouble with the mods for advertising even though im not affiliated with him. just a good friend and loyal customer.

Last edited by weldmatic; 12-15-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:27 PM
Registered member

Aight...cuz im borderline telling to give me car back and let me do it myself...today made it a week thats its been in the shope...
Old 12-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Registered member

Aight..I just talked to the mechanic at the garage and they say that they have me car running but still dont kno whats making it choke it's self out wit fuel....they said they check all plugs, wires, censors, and even put it on the computer, but still can't figure it out...

Quick Reply: Prelude won't start