Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Possible Broken Motor Mount?

Old 10-29-2012, 07:27 AM
slingshot engage.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin'
Default Possible Broken Motor Mount?

Make: Honda
Model: Civic Si (6MT)
Year: 2007
Mileage: 70k
Bone stock, no modifications.

After my last run at a local AutoX on Saturday, I noticed a very substantial increase in vibration around idle on my car. It was butter smooth before, and now it feels like a diesel idling!

The vibration is felt at (warmed-up) idle and when you blip the throttle it bucks a bit. This is leading me to believe that I have a severely worn or broken engine mount. I know there doesn't have to be physical breakage because of the material within the mount itself, so I am not sure. Engine is still sitting level in the bay- there are no physical differences other than the vibrations mentioned above.

Is there any way I can test it myself to confirm this? I'd rather not go to a dealer or any other of these local idiots.

Little Update:

It is a rain/snow mix today and when I pulled out in traffic quickly I got some wheel spin. During that wheelspin the driver side wheel/tire got some real bad hop or something. Loud knocking sounds/chattering. That also is the motor mount side I cannot see very well.

Last edited by dyoungin'; 10-29-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:51 AM
Registered member

jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02
Default Re: Possible Broken Motor Mount?

How accessible are the mounts? Can you get to all of them? If so, you can take a pry bar and pry on something solid near the mount to try moving it a bit in the directions it's supposed to resist movement. It should move just a little. If you find one that moves more than a little, and takes less effort than the others, that's your culprit.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:42 AM
slingshot engage.

dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin'

I can see two of them well- the other two, not very much at all.

I might swing by an old friends garage and throw it up on the lift.

Also, updated original post with more symptoms
Old 10-29-2012, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

thegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these partsthegrant is infamous around these parts

what you also can do is have a friend sit in your car and rev it up (parking break on) then you can stand there and see if the motor moves a lot or a little ( try in 1st gear and reverse) if the motor moves alot to where its banging on something then you know there is a bad motor mount.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:03 PM
slingshot engage.

I can't 'rock' the motor at all by hand pulling/tugging. I also tried to pry on in a bit with a old broken torque wrench- still nothing that would be questionable.

??? No idea what else I should be looking for...
Old 10-30-2012, 10:36 PM
2doors plus 2.

Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors

From my understanding this could come from a poorly centered motor mount or a collapsed motor mount. If it is collapsed it may not torque like a typical broken motor mount so I would take it to Honda or a reputable shop and have them check that and codes just for reassurance.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:40 PM
V NewYearsResolution

John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363

Thought I would throw my $0.02 in. Dude came into my work yesterday with his clams 08 SI with 80K miles. He was complaining of a loud 'bang' under hard take off / hard braking. I got my bud to cover my desk and checked it out. I verified the noise, put it on the lift, and could see where the exhaust had been hitting the body. There is a triangle shaped flange directly after the exhaust, and when the vehicle is off the lift and the weight of the engine was put on the front wheels, the top of that flange was about .75 to 1.5 inches between it and the body, enough that with a good burp of the throttle (in combination with worn out motor mounts) the engine (and in turn the exhaust) moved enough that it was hitting the body. When you get it on the lift, see if you can see where the flange has been hitting the body. If so I would replace the motor mounts. Dude man told me he was going to do the work at his brother in laws house who was mad honda tech smart yo (to which I wanted to say why not diag it yourself). Either way, he called me yesterday to tell me they replaced the two upper motor mounts on either side of the motor and the two trans mounts (one on the bottom of the engine near the trans pan and the other right behind the bumper in the center of the vehicle) and the sounds is gone.

clifs: See if the exhaust flange directly after the cat is hitting the body, if so it might be a good sign that the motor mounts are loose / worn.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:25 PM
slingshot engage.

Originally Posted by John6363

clifs: See if the exhaust flange directly after the cat is hitting the body, if so it might be a good sign that the motor mounts are loose / worn.
I've been waiting to throw it up on the rack to look- thanks.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:27 PM
slingshot engage.

Passenger side mount is shot- ordered the Hasport kit.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:21 PM
V NewYearsResolution

John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363 John6363

Originally Posted by dyoungin'
Passenger side mount is shot- ordered the Hasport kit.
out of curiosity, was the exhaust hitting the body?

Quick Reply: Possible Broken Motor Mount?