Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Is this possible

Old 11-24-2006, 07:44 AM
Turbo VTEC-E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
black6gen can only hope to improve
Question Is this possible

Is it possible for a car to come stock with a wideband O2 sensor and not a narrow band? Because i have read here and there that my 2000 HX does but im not sure if that is entirely acurate.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:36 AM
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA
Default Re: Is this possible

Originally Posted by black6gen
Is it possible for a car to come stock with a wideband O2 sensor and not a narrow band? Because i have read here and there that my 2000 HX does but im not sure if that is entirely acurate.
yup the hx has a wideband o2
Old 11-24-2006, 08:55 AM
Turbo VTEC-E

Originally Posted by CHAHONDA
yup the hx has a wideband o2
SWEET, thanks.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:17 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Unfortunately the ECU in that car is super oddball and unlike any of the other Honda ECUs. You'll have to replace the ECU if you want to do any ECU tuning, and you'll have to replace the O2 sensor along with it, because wideband O2 sensors have to have a controller that works with them. None of the aftermarket ECUs that I know of will control anything but the NGK or Bosch units.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:31 AM
Turbo VTEC-E

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Unfortunately the ECU in that car is super oddball and unlike any of the other Honda ECUs. You'll have to replace the ECU if you want to do any ECU tuning, and you'll have to replace the O2 sensor along with it, because wideband O2 sensors have to have a controller that works with them. None of the aftermarket ECUs that I know of will control anything but the NGK or Bosch units.
Well i have a p28 i plan on running crome on but i bought the 2b harness when i need a 2a harness.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:32 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

That's cool, but you can't use your stock wideband with a P28 though.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:47 AM
Turbo VTEC-E

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
That's cool, but you can't use your stock wideband with a P28 though.
What would i need to use it.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:51 PM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal

What Fabrik is saying is that there is NO known ECU, besides what came with the HX, that will control the stock HX wideband O2 sensor. You are better off getting a stand alone wideband.....
Old 11-25-2006, 03:45 AM
Turbo VTEC-E

Originally Posted by thermal
What Fabrik is saying is that there is NO known ECU, besides what came with the HX, that will control the stock HX wideband O2 sensor. You are better off getting a stand alone wideband.....
Ok now what about a p28 with crome and an AFC hack?
Old 11-25-2006, 08:30 AM
Racetracks

Why would you want to run an AFC? Everything you need to do can be done in Crome, there is no need to compromise your tuning with an AFC. They're garbage, and are called a "hack" for a reason. Do things the right way. Anyway, about the wideband, the only way to use one with a P28 is to get an aftermarket wideband controller and connect the narrowband output from that to the P28. Quite simply, the P28 doesn't have a wideband controller built in, and the only Honda ECUs that do (like your HX ECU) haven't been hacked yet because they're so different than anything else.

I recommend spending the ~$250 for a wideband and controller, but only if you're doing your own tuning. If you're getting the car tuned somewhere on a dyno, the tuner usually has a wideband already so there isn't any need to buy one yourself. There really isn't any reason to permanently install a wideband on a stock ECU unless you like to see the air/fuel ratio yourself. The ECU gets about as much information from the narrowband output off of the aftermarket wideband controller as it does from a narrowband O2 sensor.