Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Poormans Type-r Overheating

Old 01-17-2011, 02:16 PM
13.5:1 Poor Mans R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kana has disabled reputation
Default Poormans Type-r Overheating

Like the title says. Here are the specs on the motor.

Head

B16 head (shaved .20)
CTR cams
Skunk2 Pro series intake manifold
Hondata Intake manifold gasket
Kidd racing RMF rep header
Full RS-R exhaust
Block

JDM GSR bore to 81.5mm and has been decked .10
CTR pistons
LS rotating assembly
3 layer head gasket
ITR water pump
GSR timing belt

Ive gone over and over a hose routing diagram and everything seems to be in place. I put the fan on a switch and it still seems to over heat. So something somewhere isnt right still. The motor has MAYBE 10 miles on it. It takes a little while for it to over heat but it still does. Its got plenty of coolant and the heat kicks really hott! Its got a brand new thermostat and radiator cap. Im lost right now and its only making me wanna sell it. Please someone chime in a help me resolve this issue. Thanks in advance!

(FABRIK ur needed right now
Old 01-17-2011, 02:37 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Poormans Type-r Overheating

Change the thermostat. It's cheap and they sometimes fail right out of the box. You can test it in boiling water before you buy a new one though. Make sure it's facing the right direction, although it's hard to put a thermostat in backwards on most cars.

Look for radiator blockages.

Verify the fan is actually working. If it's slowly overheating while you're driving it then you can rule out the fan because it isn't really needed while the car is moving.

Make sure the cooling system is free from air.

Make sure no cooling hoses are kinked.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:41 PM

Its got a brand new thermostat.I know the fan works cause it on a swtich and i know its going the right way too.

Ive checked all the hoses to make sure they arent kinked and they arent. I havent driven it to let it warm up. Just down the street and back. Gauge didnt even move. Wasnt driving long at all!
Old 01-17-2011, 02:43 PM
Mint Chocolate

vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd vw4clyd

What water pump did you use...
Old 01-17-2011, 02:43 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

if you havent driven it to warm up then how do you know its overheating? does the temp guage work?
Old 01-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You're not listening to what I'm saying. Take out the thermostat, and test it. Don't trust that it works just because it's new. Grab an old pot (or wash the thermostat really well), fill it with water, and put it on the stove. Put the thermostat in the pot, and it should open around 195 degrees or so. Water boils at 212, so if you don't have a candy thermometer then you should see the thermostat open fully shortly before the water boils.

So it's overheating when it's sitting in the driveway idling, because you haven't driven it long enough to see if it happens while moving?

Last edited by Fabrik8; 01-17-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by vw4clyd
What water pump did you use...

Says it in OP
Old 01-17-2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by nftuatn
if you havent driven it to warm up then how do you know its overheating? does the temp guage work?
Yes the gauge works. Tonight I stayed a little later tonight to see if it would over heat just idling and it did. So are you saying cars cant over heat while sitting still?
Old 01-17-2011, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
You're not listening to what I'm saying. Take out the thermostat, and test it. Don't trust that it works just because it's new. Grab an old pot (or wash the thermostat really well), fill it with water, and put it on the stove. Put the thermostat in the pot, and it should open around 195 degrees or so. Water boils at 212, so if you don't have a candy thermometer then you should see the thermostat open fully shortly before the water boils.

So it's overheating when it's sitting in the driveway idling, because you haven't driven it long enough to see if it happens while moving?

Gotcha. Now were on the same page. Yes ill let it run just see if it over heats and it takes about 30 mins or so to over heat. Im about to just take the thermostat out and go from there. I know it isnt opening because the lower hose isnt warm but the top is hot.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:54 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

no they will over heat faster sitting if a thermostat is stuck...you said you hadnt gotten it hot,which i thought you may have just drove it for couple hundred feet and back...and then the temp guage doesnt move...

sounds like you have an air pocket...a temp sensor doesnt detect steam...if there is no water on the sensor it wont register

Quick Reply: Poormans Type-r Overheating