Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

points in dist.

Old 02-22-2006, 10:49 AM
Whatever it takes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch
Default points in dist.

does anybody know how to adjust the points in a distributor? it's on a really old car and the guy i bought the car off of stated i would need to adjust the points in the dist. because they burn up fast or come loose? i'm not too familiar with older cars and have no idea what i'm doing but would like to give it a try. thank you for all the help i can get.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:54 PM
I fix cars

hondub is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: points in dist.

To adjust the points properly you need a dwell meter but it doesn't sound like you want to buy a tool for one time use. All the points are is a set of contacts, one being pushed away from the other and returned by small lobes on the distributor shaft.You check them by turning the crankshaft until the points are pushed all the way apart, then measuring the clearance between the two contacts with a feeler guage. They are adjusted by loosening a small screw and moving the points by hand, then of course tightening down the screw. You will have to look up the clearance spec in a haynes manual or online somewhere. Your timing needs to be set when you finish.

Just a hint, since you dont know the last time they were changed, I would go ahead and buy a new set of points and the condenser (a small capacitor mounted to the points, looks like a tiny can with a wire coming out). All that stuff is cheap. Also put a little white lithium grease on the distributor shaft cam lobes WITHOUT getting any on the point surfaces(it will run like crap or not at all). Good luck.

Actually, If the guy said the points burn up fast, it can indicate a bad condenser as well as maladjusted points. Definately replace the points and condenser.

Last edited by hondub; 02-22-2006 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

WarriorBlaZe is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd yank those points out, they're just a PITA. A solid state electronic replacement will drop right in. Here's a link to get you started http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...ix/index.shtml

Last edited by WarriorBlaZe; 02-22-2006 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:44 AM
Whatever it takes

ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch

thank you for the link. haven't got a chance to go to the store yet but will do tomorrow. instructions look very straight foreward.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

WarriorBlaZe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ls/vtecstitch
thank you for the link. haven't got a chance to go to the store yet but will do tomorrow. instructions look very straight foreward.
No problem man. They just drop right in, shouldn't give you much trouble at all.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:31 AM
Whatever it takes

got it running. tried the link and so far no problems.