Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!

Old 03-11-2006, 05:20 PM
I heart honda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wadman85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!

My 89 crx si w. b18c swap is running very rich, engine light, will not go past 4k rpm or so. Ive changed fuel pump and filter. I have tried to get ppl. to check the code but no one can check it b.c. i have hondata. Can anyone help, exp. this or seen it??? im currently in Alabama and trying to get home to VA and have already spent a lot of money on the fuel pump which didnt help.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:46 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!

Hondata doesn't do anything to the trouble codes, what ECU do you have? Someone is full of shit.
If you're using an OBD1 ECU, you'll have add wires to jumper out the codes, but after you do that it's like any other OBD1 car. It's easy to do. Hondata has nothing to do with it, unless whoever chipped the ECU did it wrong and that's why it's in limp home mode. You should be getting a solid CEL if there is a problem with the Hondata box, chip, or the chipping itself. If you want to get the Hondata system out of the equation totally, unplug the Hondata box and cut (or remove, depending on what the chiiped used) jumper J1 if you have a OBD1 ECU. The ECU will then run off of the stock program. If you have a OBD0 PR3/PW0 ECU, you will have to have the stock chip that was removed from the ECU during chipping. As a start though (for OBD1 ECUs) add the wires for the CEL and the DLC jumper and go from there. Good luck..

You're running in limp home mode for some reason, that's why it's running rich and rev limiting at 4k. Those are the failsafe defaults.

By the way, did it just start doing this after working fine, or did you just do the engine swap, or get the Hondata unit, or get a new ECU, or change some other major variable, etc.. ?
Old 03-11-2006, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

hondazccivic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, it could be a bad o2 sensor, i don't understand why you would change the fuel pump if it's running rich. If it's running rich that would eliminate the problem of the fuel pump. Just my opinion, but you should definetly check out the o2 sensor.
Let us know what happens.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You can't just randomly and blindly start replacing stuff, you need the CEL codes to see what it's doing. It's obviously in limp home mode, the 4k rev limit is the sure way to tell. I really want to know if it's flashing out codes or it gives a solid check engine light as soon as it gets power, that tells a lot right there.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF

I don't think a bad O2 will cause the engine to go into limp mode, especially an OBD1...I'd say something more along the lines of the air metering or TPS.

But yes, you really need the codes to know.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:54 PM
.V

lLOlRlElN has disabled reputation

did you swap the two pins on the tps?

i'm not too sure if this is what was needed to be done for a non-obd to obd, or the dual point to multi-point conversion but i remember having to do it before.

Last edited by lLOlRlElN; 03-11-2006 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:02 AM
Registered Member

hondazccivic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lLOlRlElN
did you swap the two pins on the tps?

i'm not too sure if this is what was needed to be done for a non-obd to obd, or the dual point to multi-point conversion but i remember having to do it before.
This would be pre obd0 which is like before 88, so thats not it. But a bad o2 sensor would definetly put the car into limp mode, because the o2 sensor is what is used to adjust the air/fuel mixture, it does this by sending info, back to the computer, then back through the injectors to adjust something called the pulse width, now I am not looking over this guys car, but i'm saying it's a possibility. Amoung many other things.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:44 AM
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF

Well, the O2 is not that heavily relied upon in an OEM car, because it's really not that accurate. It's basiclaly just there for any drastic lean or rich conditions. I know on my SUPRA, with a bad O2, the car would not go to limp mode, and that's a factory forced induction car where it's extremely important to not run lean.

Your Honda could run lean for a while without giving too much of a shit (stock anyway). Then again, I never have dealt with a bad/disconnected O2 on a Honda, so it may. I'm just thinking it's the least likely of the possibilities.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:19 AM
I heart honda

Wadman85 is an unknown quantity at this point

1st off i had the cpu w. hondata in it running good for 2monts atleast. ok, i changed the fuel pump b.c. it keep cutting off when driving then finally wouldnt start and now it does but runs rich. Im taking it to a place tom. to get the codes checked. I agree w. you fab. "cant just go replacing parts get the code first. btw i went to honda and got a guy up there to call his friend and he came up there and let me plug in his unchipped jdm p30(which i used for the longest time) still acted the same. Also i had it a shop yest. and the guy said my injectors were getting too much voltaged. He didn't want to check codes since my cpu had the hondata in it in fear of burning it up. I know u connect 2 wires and look at the check engine light to tell u the codes but does anyone have a website that shows you how to do it, since its sun. and no ones open today? btw since it was converted obd- to 1 all the wires from the cpu to the harness are all green. also thanks to all that have posted trying to help so far.

Last edited by Wadman85; 03-12-2006 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:27 AM
Registered Member

In the Works has disabled reputation

do a search on www.honda-tech.com will more than likely be able to find it there

I found these. hopefully you can find something that will help ya.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=468260

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1171263

Last edited by In the Works; 03-12-2006 at 07:34 AM.