Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

PLEASE HELP ROLLER ROCKERS INSTALL SBC

Old 02-14-2013, 04:23 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aa4baseball has disabled reputation
Exclamation PLEASE HELP ROLLER ROCKERS INSTALL SBC

Car is an 85 Camaro with a Carbureted 350 Small Block. What I know is it has Cast# 33382 Cylinder heads, MSD ignition, edelbrock intake manifold, and holley 600 carb.

I went to install 1.6 Roller-Tip Rockers (Jegs house brand) this past weekend and what should have been a 2 hour job has turned into 5 days! When I first installed them I started the car and they were clacking. So I assumed my adjusting was off. So I set the car back at TDC (to the absolute best of my knowledge) and readjusted them, then turned crank 360 and readjusted the rest.

I tried starting the car and it would roll then hesitate and roll some more. And click and clack and throw a puff out of the carb.

I adjusted and readjusted them 5 different times.

Now the car will rotate but not start. No hesitation just spin and spin rather quickly.

THINGS I KNOW: I am sure they arent adjusted to tightly. I am getting spark. And Plugs are wet with fuel when I pull them.

PLEASE SOMEBODY LET ME KNOW TO THE BEST OF THEIR KNOWLEDGE WHAT MAY BE GOING ON.

Last edited by aa4baseball; 02-14-2013 at 04:27 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:50 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: PLEASE HELP ROLLER ROCKERS INSTALL SBC

Have you checked for piston to valve clearance, pushrod bind, coil bind, and the few other geometry-based problems that can arise when changing rocker ratio?
Old 02-14-2013, 05:13 AM
Registered Member

power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight power2weight

edit: sorry i read roller lifters somehow.

Last edited by power2weight; 02-14-2013 at 05:17 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:22 AM
Registered Member

I did not check them myself but did quite a bit of research on installing them before I did. All indications say those rockers should have no problem with being installed in my motor. Also, its just so odd when I first installed them it ran with just some clacking (which I now realized could have been remedied more easily) and now it wont start at all. Is it possible my ignition timing is off now? This seems to be one of the only things that would explain whats going on. Even though I did not touch the distributor during this.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:31 AM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

Originally Posted by aa4baseball
I did not check them myself but did quite a bit of research on installing them before I did. All indications say those rockers should have no problem with being installed in my motor. Also, its just so odd when I first installed them it ran with just some clacking (which I now realized could have been remedied more easily) and now it wont start at all. Is it possible my ignition timing is off now? This seems to be one of the only things that would explain whats going on. Even though I did not touch the distributor during this.
Could possibly be the lifters.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:28 AM
Registered member

ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995

A simple timing light will confirm whether you are out of time or not. How exactly did you adjust them?

I'm gonna ask you a very simple question and the answer to this question should probably lead you directly to an answer...

What happens if your valves don't close all the way at TDC on the compression stroke?
Old 02-14-2013, 07:28 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Stock cam?
Old 02-14-2013, 07:35 AM
Registered Member

As far as I know it is a stock cam. And I'm pretty sure all the valves are in fact closing completely. That was one o my first suspicions was that they were on to tight. So I readjusted them. And thanks for the replies
Old 02-14-2013, 07:42 AM
Racetracks

And you're sure that you're setting lash on the base circle of the cam for each cylinder? There's going to be an easy explanation for this, and I can't believe you're having starting problems due to a difference in airflow, unless you have valves not closing properly.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:03 AM
Registered Member

To the best of my knowledge the valves are not over tightened. I have adjusted and readjusted. I know the firing order is correct. Im getting spark. The spark plugs are wet with fuel when I pull them out. I don't know of any fuses or anything that could have blown. I did wipe the corrosion off I the inside of my rotor cap but other than that didn't change anything.

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP ROLLER ROCKERS INSTALL SBC