Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Piston/Wall issue

Old 08-08-2007, 11:12 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DecentCivicZ6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Piston/Wall issue

Aite, Builder calls me up says the pistons are .004 smaller than my stock pistons, and I have .008 piston/wall clearance....wtf. i call the place i got the pistons from, they said all the setups are like that, they will be around
.006-.008. Is that gonna work???? fuck if not, i dont want over bore i want high boost, so guess ill be gettin some aebs sleeves, Anyone who has done the vitara setup before LMK what clearances you've had, and what you think, thanks.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:04 PM
Boosted F2B

99EJ6T is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Piston/Wall issue

this is already a known problem with stock bore vitaras.

it will give you the diesel / piston slap noise (when cold) that is very common with stock vitaras. so long as the bore is not out of round (beyond factory limits), you should be ok.

the only way to fix this problem is to buy oversized*. as long as you don't go past the 75.5 mark, you can still make good power. please don't sleeve it. if you do, you might as well just build a b-series at that point.

*btw: i have a set of 75.5 mm from fjt on H-T, his have the teflon coating and are the ones know to make big power
Old 08-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Banned

damn, yeah i know they are perfectly round, He honed them all out look GREAT, but,he didnt measure the piston/wall clearances before he honed them out. But i mean he said the vitara pistons are .004 smaller than OEM pistons anyways, so I doubt that had anythign to do with it. But are you saying when the engine warms up it wont have piston slap as much?? or at all. Shit doesnt sound cool at all.Dont want that. Oh and Id rather sleeve a d series than swap in my b series i have. jsut because of the people where i live, think B series is so god, and D aitn shit, so ima give a beatin with my D for a lil while.But anyways thanks, I went ahead and told him to install them with the .008 clearance, and of course he says his work has no gauruntee now oh well, lata
Old 08-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Boosted F2B

99EJ6T is an unknown quantity at this point

d-series motor w/ sleeves = ~$900
b-series swap = ~$500

it may just be me, but at those prices b's look good. i am a d-series guy at heart, but i do know when to call it quits.

btw: www.d-series.org <- will help you out a lot
Old 08-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Banned

haha yeah, ive got a b series swap. just no tranny. Just want to feel the D power at full. but if these pistons do not work after short milage, im trashing the D and might just swap in d15b and wait a while to fully build the b series, shits gettin expensive breaking parts all the time, transmissions after transmission. mount after mounts,...lol later thanks for the help