Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Piston rings.....

Old 05-30-2010, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marthewicked has disabled reputation
Default Piston rings.....

Any idea or trick to put piston rings with compressor? It's stock block on 90 honda civic no over or anything. When i try to put the piston back in to the sleeve/cylinder the rings won't clear. I tried with oil and everything as well. Oil in the cylinder, compressor and the piston. thanks in advance
Old 05-30-2010, 05:40 PM
woot! :D

The Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Piston rings.....

Put the compressor on and if you have someone with you, have them hold it so that the bottom of the compressor is flush with the top of the block. Take a rubber mallet and a stick of say..... polyurethane or some shit like that and tap it in. Do you have the compressor at the right setting? you might be able to make it smaller....
Old 05-30-2010, 05:41 PM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

Are they the correct rings? If you have a ring compressor it should be easy. They had better be clocked right too.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

Yea i double checked the rings three times.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by The Guy
Put the compressor on and if you have someone with you, have them hold it so that the bottom of the compressor is flush with the top of the block. Take a rubber mallet and a stick of say..... polyurethane or some shit like that and tap it in. Do you have the compressor at the right setting? you might be able to make it smaller....
I tighten as much as you tight a drain plug...not too much. I also made sure that rings were in their holes around the piston. What do you mean right settings? I think, in my point of view that compressor doesnt completely circle around.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:46 AM
fabricated reality

kawgomoo can only hope to improve

what kind of rings?

Are they file fit?

Did you gap the ends?

With the ring compressor tightened down, use a plastic hammer to tap the ring compressor snug against the deck. Flip the hammer and tap the piston into the hole using the handle.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by kawgomoo
what kind of rings?

Are they file fit?

Did you gap the ends?

With the ring compressor tightened down, use a plastic hammer to tap the ring compressor snug against the deck. Flip the hammer and tap the piston into the hole using the handle.
stock rings
i didn't gap them but i cleaned the grooves real good...i dont the term gap....they are as much close as the old ones...
I did that trick with hammer....i even put oil everywhere and right when it is about to go in it pops out...I dont know what the deal with this....i am trying something new everyday....something might work.