Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

patching spark plug wire?

Old 09-17-2009, 02:55 PM
ATGATT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default patching spark plug wire?

Is there anything that can be used to patch a spark plug wire so I can drive my car while I wait on a wire set to arrive? The tear is the in middle of the wire (where it goes over the valve cover). BTW, word to the wise, don't touch a spark plug wire that you can see arcing against the valve cover...
Old 09-17-2009, 03:00 PM
Zerofucksgiven

Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello
Default Re: patching spark plug wire?

Its not right but I guess you could just wrap it w/ something to keep it from arcing...
Old 09-17-2009, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

wewturbo85 has disabled reputation

haha, go buy some cheap ones till you get the ones in the mail. I think it is common sense not to touch something that is sparking... at least I thought it was.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:03 PM
TheMuhFuggin♂

burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy

THis shit is ghetto and is in no way approved by me BUT electric tape should work just fine for a short time. If you can I'd just heatshrink it. That'd be the best short term ghetto rigged "fix"
Old 09-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Electrical tape won't stop ignition voltage. The best thing you can do is space the wire away from the valve cover so it can't arc to ground.

If you want to use some electrical tape, use it to tape something in place underneath the wire, like a plastic bottle cap or something as a spacer.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:58 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

I figured electrical tape prob wouldn't be strong enough. What are the chances of finding good plugs locally (Beru or Bremi, not Bosch, for a 1985 Mercedes)? I already checked BAP/Geon, they only have Bosch.

EDIT: apparently I can get the parts to make wires from an MB dealer (if they stock them). These wires are 5 years old, should I just go ahead and replace the whole set or just build a single wire to replace the one that's arcing?

Last edited by marlinspike; 09-17-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Zerofucksgiven

Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello

Originally Posted by marlinspike
I figured electrical tape prob wouldn't be strong enough. What are the chances of finding good plugs locally (Beru or Bremi, not Bosch, for a 1985 Mercedes)? I already checked BAP/Geon, they only have Bosch.

EDIT: apparently I can get the parts to make wires from an MB dealer (if they stock them). These wires are 5 years old, should I just go ahead and replace the whole set or just build a single wire to replace the one that's arcing?
Advance Auto/Auto Zone carries Accel 8mm universal wires
Old 09-17-2009, 04:48 PM
tits anyone?

I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.)

put a band-aid on it
Old 09-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by marlinspike

Replace the whole set. The only decision you have to make is whether to make a new set from parts or buy a pre-made set. There isn't any use making just one, unless it's only to get you by until you can get a new set.. A single new one will be mismatched with the others because of age, corrosion, difference in wire dielectric materials from year to year, etc., so that one cylinder may have more or less spark energy than the rest of the cylinders. Not really a big deal, but not the greatest thing for keeping an engine running smooth and equally across the entire cylinder range.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:16 PM
ATGATT

I ended up just having a full set of Beru wires overnighted to me. Of course the wrong ones were sent...

So in the mean time I tried the electrical tape and bottle cap...which got me an even bigger arc...at least I know I'm making good spark...don't try that one at home kids.

Quick Reply: patching spark plug wire?