Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Which one of these blocks is better?

Old 08-22-2003, 12:21 PM
I'm not into cars

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
reXer has disabled reputation
Default Which one of these blocks is better?

casted closed deck or one that's been sleeved closed? I'm assuming sleeved closed because it's iron... but the other is all one material.

here's pics

Old 08-22-2003, 01:12 PM
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute

I've yet to hear of any EJ loosing sleeves or cylinder walls. but i own a nissan so

given those sleeves are pressed in, and not physically part of the block its one more thing to go wrong, while it may be strong it could shift the sleeve leaving no compression chamber.

its a toss up i'd probably go with the stock block.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:29 PM
I'm not into cars

as far as I know, no one's blown the block up yet... but I dont want to be the first. The stock deck is open... the closed deck is out of another suby that's 2.2L and stroked to 2.4L. That's why I'm looking into blocks... mainly for the displacement. Some people sell the 2.5L sleeved and the 2.2L stroked. Those are the differences.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

Greaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond reputeGreaser has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm tough decision. COIN TOSS time.

which parts are more readily available? rods, pistons, sleeves?

which costs more to get done, the 2.5 or the 2.2 stroked to 2.4?
Old 08-22-2003, 01:59 PM
Doin' it

IthinkI1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with greaser, and for my opinion on blocks, id rather go with a cast over sleeve.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:13 PM
I'm not into cars

2.2 stroker is cheaper. The 2.5 needs extra machining done which costs a little extra. The 2.5 is actually sleeved down to 2.4 so there's more sealing surface area. The difference is probably $500-$700. Other than the extra machining on the 2.5, everything else costs close to the same.

So... same displacement, just 2 different ways of getting there. No one's really done a lot of punishment on either type yet. The options for motors I have is absolutely rediculous. No matter what, I don't think I can get enough hp to break either one of these blocks... I'm sure they both hold well over 500hp.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

try to blow up a stock block then.....since no one has done it. use your block get the stroker kit and call it a day. you can use stock pistons with that kit right?
Old 08-22-2003, 02:57 PM
I'm not into cars

None of those motors are stock wrx motors. The 2.2 is out of an old turbo legacy. I have to buy internals for whatever one I pick. But, I'm not even sure if I'll pick one of these. I was just curious which one would probably be the stronger one since they are pretty much 2 very different ways of doing the same thing.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:59 PM
i probably hate you

Mr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these parts

we were recently discussing this on the mr2 board. the general consensus was to just stick with the stock block. if something goes wrong with that, that is the time to invest in some sleeves. take the money that you would invest in some sleeves and put it towards some good engine management or thermal management. if you dont throw bullets at your engine it wont need to be bulletproof.

Last edited by Mr.2; 08-22-2003 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:40 PM
I'm not into cars

*sigh*
Just can't get you guys off the stock block can I?

Stock block is not an option. The whole reason in swapping blocks is for displacement increases. This is not "I'm worried I'm going to have too much power for my stock block."

Quick Reply: Which one of these blocks is better?