Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Oil cooler

Old 09-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Not-So-Fatty McFat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC
Default Oil cooler

have been looking for an oil cooler since i recently went turbo and will be tracking my car. looked at B&M, but decided on a Setrab until i came across the Laminova Heat Exchanger on H-T. anyone have any experience with these?

Laminova Website
http://www.laminova-online.se/

Modified mag article
http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-09...ger/index.html

Old 09-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Oil cooler

Laminova makes very nice stuff. For a street car you'd be just as well served by a standard oil cooler core though, which is usually a simpler installation (no extra coolant lines) and cheaper. For race duty it's a nice option because it keeps everything compact and limits the amount of external connections that have to be removed/reattached during tear-down.

Also remember that you have to remove the heat from the oil cooler with your regular radiator, so on a lot of turbo street cars where you're already at the limit of the OEM-ish cooling system that might not work so well. Air/oil cores like the Setrab units use ambient air that you don't have to pay for, and you're not worried about a small overall drag penalty on a street car with no aero package development.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 09-11-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:43 AM
Registered Member

MaxPower MaxPower MaxPower MaxPower MaxPower

That looks cool (har har).

If you go the B&M route dont forget a thermostatic control valve for those really cold days. It might not be nessasary (iv seen a bunch with out one) but I like the fact that it's there.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:45 AM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

you can pick up an oil cooler kit from napa for like $120.00 and its really easy to install
Old 09-12-2010, 08:51 AM
Now drives a SWagon

Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi Z33_Taxi

Originally Posted by NasTHatch
you can pick up an oil cooler kit from napa for like $120.00 and its really easy to install
+1 or make your own...I think the Napa core is small, but you can always source a larger core and use the napa parts
Old 09-13-2010, 04:24 AM
Not-So-Fatty McFat

BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC

I was liking those because of how compact it is and it’ll keep me from running 2 long oil lines and running into oil pressure problems. Looks like I’d be able to run it in the engine bay with no problems.

Originally Posted by MaxPower
That looks cool (har har).

If you go the B&M route dont forget a thermostatic control valve for those really cold days. It might not be nessasary (iv seen a bunch with out one) but I like the fact that it's there.
Was looking for a thermostatic sandwich plate but couldn’t find one with 2 1/8npt outlets
Old 09-13-2010, 07:59 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Mocal makes oilstat sandwich plates for about $90-100, and all you'll need to get is the right adapter for whatever size lines you're using, which should be BSP to -AN fittings (they won't be NPT, that's for sure). Try Racer Parts Wholesale or BAT Inc if you want to look at them. They both also carry Mocal oil coolers (I think Mocal sells/labels all the Laminova in this country?) and Setrab too I think. It looks like the Setrab and Mocal air/oil cores are about 1/2 or 1/3 the price of the Laminova units. As far as I know all the Setrab and Mocal coolers come with -AN fittings.

NPT is for house plumbing.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 09-13-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:50 AM
RiverCitySyn

brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini

-AN is nice since you don't have to thread tape since it's self-sealing. It is pricier because of that though.

If you do drive in cold weather, get the thermostat! Especially if you don't have an oil temp gauge. Cold oil is worse than hot oil.

AN remote thermostat: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EAR-501ERL/
Old 09-13-2010, 09:30 AM
Not-So-Fatty McFat

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Mocal makes oilstat sandwich plates for about $90-100, and all you'll need to get is the right adapter for whatever size lines you're using, which should be BSP to -AN fittings (they won't be NPT, that's for sure). Try Racer Parts Wholesale or BAT Inc if you want to look at them. They both also carry Mocal oil coolers (I think Mocal sells/labels all the Laminova in this country?) and Setrab too I think. It looks like the Setrab and Mocal air/oil cores are about 1/2 or 1/3 the price of the Laminova units. As far as I know all the Setrab and Mocal coolers come with -AN fittings.

NPT is for house plumbing.
Yes, I know what npt is in reference to, but I was referring to npt outlets for my oil pressure and temp sender. I’ve looked at and done research on the Mocal and Setrab coolers and decided that if I was going to get one, it’d be the Setrab, I like their configurations better and seen a few at a good price on ebay.

Originally Posted by brandini
-AN is nice since you don't have to thread tape since it's self-sealing. It is pricier because of that though.

If you do drive in cold weather, get the thermostat! Especially if you don't have an oil temp gauge. Cold oil is worse than hot oil.

AN remote thermostat: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EAR-501ERL/
Thanks for showing me this. Haven’t seen it before. I do have an oil pressure and temp sender going to my tunerview.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

MaxPower MaxPower MaxPower MaxPower MaxPower

Originally Posted by BLU CIVIC
Was looking for a thermostatic sandwich plate but couldn’t find one with 2 1/8npt outlets
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

The earl one has three

edit: doh, someone beat me to it.

Last edited by MaxPower; 09-13-2010 at 02:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil cooler