Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Oil change recipie

Old 06-06-2003, 03:24 PM
ahhhh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
split has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Oil change recipie

Ok here is the deal, I have a, "how to" presentation to make, I wanted to run it by you guys/gals to see if there is anything else I can add to this "recipie for an oil change" I posted it here because it is somewhat tech for most cars so I can get positive as well as negative feedback. I know it's long...... but TIA
I. Specific purpose: How to change your oil
II. Central idea: This speech is to tell you how to change your oil.
III. Introduction: Things you will need.
A. (1) Drain pan
B. (2) Latex or rubber gloves
C. (3) Breaker bar/ long ratchet
D. (4) Socket, (the size varies from car to car)
E. (5) Filter wrench, can also use and old leather belt or screwdriver
F. Oil (amount can be found in owners manual or auto parts store)
G. Oil filter (correct size can be found in owners manual or auto parts store)
H. Jack and or jack stands
IV. Body:
A routine oil change is the best preventative maintenance that you as a car owner can do for your car, without it your oil can breakdown and cause premature engine wear. Most of you may already know that it’s suggested to change your oil every 3,000 miles or every three months, depending on how much you drive. I myself change my oil about every two months or so, yes I drive quite a bit. Along with consistent oil changes it’s a good habit to check your oil, so you can tell if you are leaking oil through damaged seals, bad piston rings or loose connections. You can also check the condition of the oil; if it’s dirty then you need to change it.
Before you start make sure you have all the required items. Unless you have a spare car to get what you need. Also it is a good idea to have plenty of rags, newspaper and cat litter in case your messy.
Park your car on a level surface, allow your car to warm up to its normal operating temperature, then shut off. Set your emergency brake Next you want to jack your car with a jack and if available put on jack stands. Open your hood and remove the filler cap from the valve cover. Now the fun begins, put on your gloves and crawl under or use a creeper to get under your car. Locate your drain plug and place the drain pan underneath it. Grab your favorite ratchet or breaker bar with the correct size socket and remove the drain plug. Be careful not to drop it in the warm spewing oil. If you do it’s ok Allow your oil to drain completely. Sometimes a nice cold beverage helps speed up the process. Clean your drain plug and reinstall securely but do not strip it. Remember righty-tighty lefty-loosie.
Next locate your oil filter; this can be removed from under the car or from above the engine. If the pan is not under it, move it into position. You should be able to remove it using your hand, sandpaper can be used for grip, if not use your filter wrench, old belt or worse case; jam a screwdriver through it. Once you have it loose remove it completely and tilt it upright as soon as possible to keep from spilling any oil. Place your used filter in the drain pan. Clean up any spilled oil, and wipe up your engine. This is also helpful so you can spot leaks.
Now you want to take your new filter, compare it to your old one to make sure you have the correct one. Fill your new filter maybe 1/3 to ½ with new oil, when you do this, you also want to lubricate the filter gasket. Screw it onto your block, hand tight. Over tightening will cause damage to the gasket, and cause leaks.
Remove all tools and rags, etc. from under the car; be careful not to spill the oil.
Make sure you have everything out from under your car and lower your vehicle
Add new oil through the oil fill area in your valve cover, use a funnel it’s less messy, For my car I would add about three quarts, grab your favorite beverage, take a few sips and then check the level with the dipstick. If it’s low add more. There are either two holes or two x’s, an upper and lower.
Install the filler cap and start your engine, while it’s running check for leaks from any location, if a leak is present shut the engine off, usually if you have a leak it’s at the plug or the filter, tighten as needed.
Wait a few minutes if there is no leak, allow the oil to circulate, recheck the oil using the dipstick, if necessary add enough oil to bring the level up to the upper hole on the dipstick. My car it takes one quart to raise the level from the lower hole to the upper hole. Do not over fill; doing so may cause oil fouled spark plugs, oil leaks, or oil seal failures. Close your hood completely.
Now you ask what do you do with the old oil and filter? Well once it has cooled you can pour it into old milk jugs with the cap. I was told the filter can be thrown away in the trash Take it to an oil reclamation center, auto repair shop, auto parts store or some gas stations.
During the first few trips in your car after an oil change get into the habit of checking your oil. Check for leaks or excess oil consumption. Smile, your all done. Now clean yourself up.
V. The conclusion:
You have successfully changed your oil, you can now say with pride “I changed my oil all by myself” If you follow these steps and use a little common sense, you should have no problems. Are there any questions? Do you need anything else explained? I know you’re not idiots but I don’t know how much you know.
Old 06-06-2003, 03:52 PM
poop

Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate

i got to "here is the deal" and quit.
Old 06-06-2003, 04:06 PM
ahhhh

split has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond repute

thanks ........... dick
honestly that is what I expected, everyone is going to be too lazy to read it all.
Old 06-06-2003, 04:42 PM
poop

Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate

i read it all. sounds ok to me. a few grammer errors. but it sounds right to me.
Old 06-06-2003, 05:18 PM
VIP

LSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these parts

sounds fine. except for grammar errors and some slang. is it a formal presentation?

sludge can also occur if you don't do scheduled oil changes

you forgot to add to the materials: a brick or something to place behind the rear tire
Old 06-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Die reinste Bösen.

gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear

I would copy + paste that into microsoft word, because it will pick up on basic grammar and slang... otherwise on the money
Old 06-06-2003, 06:13 PM
VIP

LSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these parts

i wouldn't recommend using microsoft word for editing. just do it manually. ask another person to edit what you have.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:43 PM
Registered member

socket_ has disabled reputation

lol
Old 06-06-2003, 08:25 PM
ahhhh

Originally posted by gear
I would copy + paste that into microsoft word, because it will pick up on basic grammar and slang... otherwise on the money
I originaly typed it up in word, the slang is ok, as far as grammar I think I'm going to put it into bullet form.
Thanks again
Old 06-07-2003, 06:17 AM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E
Default Re: Oil change recipie

Originally posted by split
I know you’re not idiots but I don’t know how much you know.
It sounds good to me. I would definitely leave this sentence out. Also, some pictures or props work well for presentations. Helps take the focus directly off you and can help jog your memory if you get ahead of yourself.

Quick Reply: Oil change recipie