Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

obd2 dizzy obd1 motor problem?

Old 06-26-2009, 04:15 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OUTKAST SOL OUTKAST SOL OUTKAST SOL OUTKAST SOL OUTKAST SOL OUTKAST SOL OUTKAST SOL OUTKAST SOL OUTKAST SOL OUTKAST SOL OUTKAST SOL
Question obd2 dizzy obd1 motor problem?

Ok so I put my obd1 gsr in a eg hatch with a chrome chipped p72 and everything was working fine until my dizzy took a dump. I replaced it with an obd2 dizzy because i have heard that it works but now I'm throwing 3 codes and my vtec doesnt work anymore. The car seems to be running fine and strong but I'm not throwing a vtec code so it doesnt make sense to me. I color matched the wires on the dizzy to the harness plug because i was told to do that by a honda tech.... But it still doesnt work and I'm still getting the 3 codes.

the codes:
4 crank position sensor
8 top dead center sensor
9 no.1 cylinder position sensor

I know all the codes are coming from the dizzy but i cant seem to figure it out.
I know a little bit about hondas but I'm stumped. The honda tech i spoke of told me that the only thing he can think of is that i now have to get an obd1 dizzy to make it work properly because they are not communicating properly but i dont wanna spend the loot if i dont have to. Can someone tell me what i might be doing wrong even if its something stupid. Or even let me know if buying an obd1 dizzy is the only way. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:27 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT
Default Re: obd2 dizzy obd1 motor problem?

buying an obd1 distributer is going to fix your problem. your ecu is looking for the crank position sensor to come from the distributor, well, since its an obd2 distributor, its not going to. im pretty sure Obd2 dist dont have the crank pos sensor in them.they have the cps mounted on a fixed position on the driver side of the engine block inside of the timing cover. its not getting a cps input and is the root problem of all your codes. If you dont have crank position, you dont have tdc or cyl position, if i remember correctly that is all configured by the crank sensor. put the same distributor on you had before and your problem should be solved. i could be wrong but i thought those codes were connected to each other, and im pretty sure the crank sensor is not in the distributor on obd2 motors, its a mounted sensor .

Last edited by MORE IMPATIENT; 06-26-2009 at 06:31 AM.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:32 AM
-Rep Legion

Broke B16 has disabled reputation

I didn't read your thread but I have a Password JDM obd2 to obd1 dizzy conversion harness for sale.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:15 AM
da dragva kokopelli

mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz

Originally Posted by MORE IMPATIENT
buying an obd1 distributer is going to fix your problem. your ecu is looking for the crank position sensor to come from the distributor, well, since its an obd2 distributor, its not going to. im pretty sure Obd2 dist dont have the crank pos sensor in them.they have the cps mounted on a fixed position on the driver side of the engine block inside of the timing cover. its not getting a cps input and is the root problem of all your codes. If you dont have crank position, you dont have tdc or cyl position, if i remember correctly that is all configured by the crank sensor. put the same distributor on you had before and your problem should be solved. i could be wrong but i thought those codes were connected to each other, and im pretty sure the crank sensor is not in the distributor on obd2 motors, its a mounted sensor .
rickster your right, the Crank position sensor is near the oil pump, but the ecu is looking for input from sensors the swap does not have.

swap the dizzy with a obd1 dizzy and it should solve all of your issues. if it doesnt let us know what happens
Old 06-26-2009, 08:17 AM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

The distritbor has a cam position sensor in it.
His obd1 ecu is not looking for a CRANKpositionsensor.

If you wired it up correctly, it will work. If not, it won't.

Double check the wiring or get another distribtor.

I've personally used obd2 units in obd1 cars and vice versa.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:25 AM
da dragva kokopelli

mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz

Originally Posted by Jarrod
The distritbor has a cam position sensor in it.
His obd1 ecu is not looking for a CRANKpositionsensor.

If you wired it up correctly, it will work. If not, it won't.

Double check the wiring or get another distribtor.

I've personally used obd2 units in obd1 cars and vice versa.
he said a crank, not cam.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:37 AM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Originally Posted by nagger
he said a crank, not cam.
I worded it wrong, i meant crank aswell.

Get another dist. OP.

Or check your wiring.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

1rude2l has disabled reputation

crank fluctuation sensor is by the oil pump. wire the dizzy up right it will work right
Old 06-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Yes, everything that you need is in the distributor, and the OBD2 distributor will work perfectly fine with the correct pinout.

The crank fluctuation sensor is by the oil pump but doesn't exist on OBD1 engines so don't worry about it.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by MORE IMPATIENT
Originally Posted by nagger
rickster your right, the Crank position sensor is near the oil pump, but the ecu is looking for input from sensors the swap does not have.

swap the dizzy with a obd1 dizzy and it should solve all of your issues. if it doesnt let us know what happens
You guys are both misinformed, and are both ignoring the fact that many/most JDM OBD2 engines don't even have the crank fluctuation sensor, which is what you're calling the "crank position sensor" that is on the block.

All critical engine position sensors are in the distributor.

Quick Reply: obd2 dizzy obd1 motor problem?