Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

obd0 b16 hatch...knock sensor problems!!!

Old 09-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Bearded.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO
Exclamation obd0 b16 hatch...knock sensor problems!!!

its 91 EF hatch with a obd0 b16.

Code 23: knock sensor.. keeps coming on...

-the knock sensor was broken in half so we replaced it with a known working one.

-exhaust cam was 1 tooth out of time

-ignition timing was wayyy retarded (seriously)

-injector clip on #1 cyl was broken, and hanging by a thread

all these problems have been fixed. We've traced the knock sensor back to the ECU, and checked connections and everything. After the races at langely on wednesday, i drove the hatch home, and CEL on the ecu was flashing 23, 23, 23, 23, 23, 23, 23, 23....>FUCK

im tired of seeing that motherfucker blink?

why does it keep blinking.

The ONLY thing i can think of is this....we currently have a obd1 knock sensor plug on the obd0 knock sensor at the moment, because we lost our obd0 plug in the driveway somewhere?

but i cannot find a diagram of the obd0 plug on alldata, because its%@ Ú<§r...im thinking maybe the obd0 b17 GSR should be the same thing? harness wise...

The obd1 plug has 2 wires coming out of it, and 1 is being used for the obd0 sensor at the moment. The knock sensor only has 1 pin coming off of it (b/c its obd0) we used the top colored wire coming off of the obd1 plug. maybe we got them mixed up, but i dont think so.

its not really hurting the car at the moment, vtec still bangs hard, and its running fine. but im jsut tired of seeing that light on.

any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!

Last edited by DORKO; 09-06-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: obd0 b16 hatch...knock sensor problems!!!

What ECU are you using, OBD1? I'm assuming that's where the ODB1 harness came from?

It's possible that the broken knock sensor damaged the knock input circuit on the ECU, I doubt it but it's a possibility.

I'd double check the timing too, it could actually be knocking..

Find a PDF manual for an OBD1 car with a knock sensor or a OBD1 harness pinout and verify that you have the right wire on that connector too. You have a one in two chance of getting the right wire without knowing which one it is supposed to be.

On most of the OBD1 cars, the knock sensor signal going to the ECU is a red/blue wire, I think the DX may be white though, it's an oddball.

Here, have fun with some tech info.
http://www.ff-squad.com/technet/index.htm

Last edited by Fabrik8; 09-07-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Bearded.

no its a pwo jdm b16 ecu. which is obd0.

the timing is fine. everything is in time just like it supposed to be. the ignition timing is set to stock specs also.

the timing was off last week, but i re-timed it and its good now. i checked and double checked.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:32 PM
Bearded.

the only thing that is obd1 is the knock sensor plug that we got off a buddys car that was running chrome with the knock sensor delete function.

everything is obd0, motor/ecu/harness/knock sensor.

i need a wiring diagram for a obd1 knock sensor plug, and obd0 knock sensor plug?

anyone?
Old 09-07-2008, 08:03 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

For OBD1 knock sensors, it's the top of the two cavities, closest to the latch that you depress to release the connector from the knock sensor. I'm looking for the OBD0 connector to verify. It looks like the OBDo knock sensor uses the same 2 pin connector, so as long as you're in the right cavity, you should be fine.

Can anyone verify that the OBD0 knock sensors use a 2 pin plug (I know they would only use one wire, with the other cavity empty)..

Last edited by Fabrik8; 09-07-2008 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:33 AM
NA No V-tec D

gene is a jewel in the roughgene is a jewel in the roughgene is a jewel in the roughgene is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
For OBD1 knock sensors, it's the top of the two cavities, closest to the latch that you depress to release the connector from the knock sensor. I'm looking for the OBD0 connector to verify. It looks like the OBDo knock sensor uses the same 2 pin connector, so as long as you're in the right cavity, you should be fine.

Can anyone verify that the OBD0 knock sensors use a 2 pin plug (I know they would only use one wire, with the other cavity empty)..
yes they use the 2 pin plug
Old 09-08-2008, 11:49 AM
NA No V-tec D

gene is a jewel in the roughgene is a jewel in the roughgene is a jewel in the roughgene is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by dorko
its not really hurting the car at the moment, vtec still bangs hard, and its running fine. but im jsut tired of seeing that light on.

any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!
just for giggles did you happen to unplug the ecm to clear the codes? if your unsure of the wiring and you have a spare 2 pin plug just tie the two wires together and feed it to the KS pin on the ecu. i have old OBD0 pr3/pwo diagrams if you need it. if that does not work you need to make sure your feed wire is shielded as the KS outputs a FREQ HZ signal, and its very sensitive to electrical interference. but then again maybe the engine is really pre-igniting??
Old 09-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Bearded.

ok so tie both knock sensor wires on the plug into one wire, and run it to the ECU.

this car was converted to obd1, but when the previous owner sold the car to me, it was converted back to obd0.

everything is fine, and in the correct spot like it was never converted. im just having problems with the knock sensor throwing a code.!

any more ideas?

Last edited by DORKO; 09-13-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

1rude2l has disabled reputation

try reseting the ecu? Is the check engine light actually on. The ecu stores the code for a cel it throws until you reset the ecu.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Bearded.

I reset the ecu and disconnected the negative bat terminal and anything and everything else I could think of

The cel is not on at the moment but the light on the ecu is still flashing 23

Fuck me!

Quick Reply: obd0 b16 hatch...knock sensor problems!!!