Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

obd-II to obd-I

Old 03-14-2007, 06:02 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the rough
Default obd-II to obd-I

How hard is the conversion......is there any kits for it? What all would i need. Anyone willing to help out?

its for a 99 honda civic ex
Old 03-14-2007, 06:29 PM
AKA: SHY_GUY

S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy
Default Re: obd-II to obd-I

There are kits.

www.kingmotorsports.com sells one, I think its 99.00
Old 03-14-2007, 06:31 PM
I Love to Hate

B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well

conversion isnt too tuff, 5 easy steps.

First, Reuse your existing OBD2 engine harness and add the respective VTEC wiring and Knock sensor if you own a non-vtec 96-00 civic OR find a 96-98 EX engine harness which already has the vtec wiring & knock sensor embedded into it.

Second, Find a set of B-series OBD2 injectors OR cut & splice the OBD1 injector plugs and adapt them to your OBD2 engine harness.

Third, Find a 96-00/OBD2 B-series alternator OR sell/trade the OBD1 B-series alternator for a 96-00/OBD2 B-series alternator. The plug is a square type on the 96-00 alternators and has 1-2 more wires leading to it, whereas the OBD1 alternator plug is a bigger round plug and has less wiring going to it. So there might be an issue if you try to rewire it...your best off fnding an OBD2 B-series alternator though.

Fourth, Find a 96-98/OBD2 B-series distributor which will plug n' play w/your DX engine harness OR they say you can convert your OBD2 distributor plug to OBD1 spec by repin it to a dual OBD1 plugs and will accept & utilize an OBD1 distributor. I've never done this myself and I find a big pain in the ass (I personally hate rewiring stuff)....I suggest you find a 96-98 B-series distributor to make life easy on yourself.

And finally the ECU.
If youd like to go OBD1 ecu, purchase a 99-00/OBD2>OBD1 ecu jumper and simply use an OBD1 ecu. JDM OBD2 ecu's programming is similiar to OBD1 programming as far as looking at sensors. It looks at the same exact sensors an OBD1 ecu does.......but for the US version of OBD2 ecu's programming, they look for a few more sensors which makes OBD2 a hassle.
US OBD2 ecu's look for these additional sensors:
- CKP (an integrated crank sensor thats found & embedded on the oil pump)
- 2nd 02 sensor

The CKP sensor is the big downer, since OBD1 and JDM OBD2 engines do not have this sensor. If you want to add this sensor, you need to change your oil pump to a US spec 96+ B-series oil pump. Again, you can easily avoid all this frustration & wasted $$$ if you go with a JDM 96-98 ecu or the OBD1 route.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:00 PM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal

For a 99 ex, all you need is an OBD2b to OBD1 conversion harness and an OBD1 P28 ECU. Simple plug and play dude. Requires no assistance....
Old 03-14-2007, 08:48 PM
Registered member

cleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the roughcleanEK is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by thermal
For a 99 ex, all you need is an OBD2b to OBD1 conversion harness and an OBD1 P28 ECU. Simple plug and play dude. Requires no assistance....
ok just wanted to make sure. beucase im puttin in a 95 sohc from my friend (because i blew mine =( )
Old 03-14-2007, 09:20 PM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Originally Posted by cleanEK
ok just wanted to make sure. beucase im puttin in a 95 sohc from my friend (because i blew mine =( )
Use all your sensors.

And good thing your runnig the obd-1 ecu. From what i hear, the motors run different timing maps.

Someone else will chime in and break it down for me.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:37 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by Jarrod
Use all your sensors.

And good thing your runnig the obd-1 ecu. From what i hear, the motors run different timing maps.

Someone else will chime in and break it down for me.
im going to be running a d16z6...what ecu woudl i use for that?
Old 03-15-2007, 01:44 AM
Turbo VTEC-E

black6gen can only hope to improve
Cool Re: obd-II to obd-I

Originally Posted by cleanEK
im going to be running a d16z6...what ecu woudl i use for that?
P28, or any vtec ecu i belive.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:29 AM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal

Yes, P28 OBD1. Remember that P28 comes in both OBD1 and OBD2 (from Delsol late models). In your case, you will also have to change the distributor.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:50 AM
I Love to Hate

B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well

when do you plan on doing the conversion?

Quick Reply: obd-II to obd-I