Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

A noob's problem :/

Old 11-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
katsuro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A noob's problem :/

Looking at a lot of these threads makes me intimidated because what I have is probably a relatively minor problem. Nevertheless, since I am but an eager student in car mechanics, I beg you to be patient with me and answer my undoubtedly amateur questions.

A couple of days ago I took my completely stock '98 Integra LS to a local Merchant's to get my oil changed (I would do it myself but I don't have a jack) and to change my tires. Everything was find until I went to pick it up after school. The mechanic told me that my water pump was leaking and to repair everything would cost around $700 with labor. He estimated that I would need to buy (obviously) the water pump, an alternator belt, an A/C belt, and a Power Steering Belt.

The price was quite a shock to both my parents and I and I took it home that day without any immediate action. I drove a little less than usual and was cautious on the roads. I consulted a few of my friends and they said not to worry about it if your temperature gauge remains constantly below half (which it did) and if nothing leaks out of your car after you park.

The temperature was not a problem but it was not until recently that I noticed a dark patch of fluid under my car where I park at school.

My question is- do I have a real cause for concern? If so, is it really that expensive to replace/is there any way to buy those parts myself?

Thanks in advanced for any help you can give me.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Registered member

evolve evolve evolve evolve evolve evolve evolve evolve evolve evolve evolve
Default Re: A noob's problem :/

Where there's a will, there's a way.There is most likely something wrong. Get it fixed or fix it.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

Do you know if I'm getting ripped here? $700 just seems a lot to me...
Old 11-05-2008, 05:52 PM
yes sir

rollingstock has disabled reputation

changing a water pump in that car is a pain in the ass..
Old 11-05-2008, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

Show Pow has a reputation beyond reputeShow Pow has a reputation beyond reputeShow Pow has a reputation beyond reputeShow Pow has a reputation beyond reputeShow Pow has a reputation beyond reputeShow Pow has a reputation beyond reputeShow Pow has a reputation beyond reputeShow Pow has a reputation beyond reputeShow Pow has a reputation beyond reputeShow Pow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katsuro
Do you know if I'm getting ripped here? $700 just seems a lot to me...
i paid $350 to get my timing belt and water pump replaced. Try and find a cheaper place.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

pepsilude- I live in NoVA. Is the shop where you went around there? And 350...wow that's less than they charged me for the labor alone...
Old 11-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

Show Pow has a reputation beyond reputeShow Pow has a reputation beyond reputeShow Pow has a reputation beyond reputeShow Pow has a reputation beyond reputeShow Pow has a reputation beyond reputeShow Pow has a reputation beyond reputeShow Pow has a reputation beyond reputeShow Pow has a reputation beyond reputeShow Pow has a reputation beyond reputeShow Pow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katsuro
pepsilude- I live in NoVA. Is the shop where you went around there? And 350...wow that's less than they charged me for the labor alone...
nah, its in norfolk. that was actually just labor alone cause i got the parts myself.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

$700 is high as hell.. It only takes a few hours to change a timing belt and water pump in your driveway, and should be less than that for a professional shop. Go somewhere else.

If you're going to replace the water pump, do the timing belt while you're at it. The belt isn't that much $$$ and you won't have to worry about that for a long time. The accessory belts are usually cheap and are a good idea to replace while you're taking stuff off anyway if they haven't been replaced in a long time (or at all).
Old 11-06-2008, 07:55 AM
Registered Member

Do you mean A/C, Power Steering, and Alternator belts when you say "accessory belts"?
I looked on www.acuraoemparts.com and I could only find the water pump (with gasket), the power steering belt, and the timing belt. Are the A/C and alternator belts known by a different name..?
Old 11-06-2008, 08:05 AM
Digital Life

83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0

Should be listed exactly as they're called. Got an advance near you? They deffinatly carry those belts. I dont know if you specifically wanted OEM products but you could deffinatly get quality replacements.

Was the fluid patch blackish, or any other tint? If it was black, it is oil. Nothing you've talked about replacing will fix the leak. If you just got an oil change, and now you have a leak, they either stripped the drain bolt, or the new filter(if they did that) isn't seated.

Quick Reply: A noob's problem :/