VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   NO Exhaust Work for Turbo? (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/no-exhaust-work-turbo-38337/)

gear 01-15-2004 06:01 PM

get a flowmaster with 3 inch inlet/outlet. it will give a good sound but no tickets. theyve got a whole line of turbo mufflers.

Wii 01-15-2004 06:56 PM

Am running a straight 2.25" pipe with no Cat. converter on my boosted civic. My shit spool fast as hell. Good power from mid-to top

BCisme 01-15-2004 07:00 PM

Originally posted by Insperation
Am running a straight 2.25" pipe with no Cat. converter on my boosted civic. My shit spool fast as hell. Good power from mid-to top
no exhaust!! :wtf: ricer!!! :fu:

Wii 01-15-2004 07:11 PM

shut up.
You know my shit is on back order. Still waiting for it

projsr20det 01-15-2004 08:25 PM

Originally posted by turbotalon95
Actually you can go too big on certain setups. I will explain if need be, just let me know.

Please explain. Are you talking turbos or exhaust piping?

mpg9999 01-15-2004 09:42 PM

Originally posted by turbotalon95
Actually you can go too big on certain setups. I will explain if need be, just let me know.

Pretty much, I was actually thinking about putting a bullet muffler tucked underneath the car and running it back and modifying the stock muffler so it looked stock, but you would definitely hear that it wasnt.

Yeah, im gona need you to explain that.

turbotalon95 01-16-2004 04:28 AM

Originally posted by projsr20det
Please explain. Are you talking turbos or exhaust piping?

Originally posted by mpg9999
Yeah, im gona need you to explain that.
Not a problem. This usually affects stock turbo cars and cars with custom turbokits that have internal wastegates and large unrestrictive exhausts. Basically the problem comes with the fact that the exhaust outflows the wastegate. The wastegate cannot divert enough exhaust gasses to limit boost properly. In the end you get inconsistent boost pressures or even uncontrollable amounts of boost. This is called boost creep and what happens is that you set you boost to the desired amount, but as you accelerate hard the boost will hover at what you set it too for a second then in higher rpms it begins to rise uncontrollably. I had a problem with this before I upgraded my wastegate, I would set it at 15 psi and at redline I would actually be in the 23-24 psi range. There are certain things that you can do to help with boostcreep, but the best of course is an external wastegate.

Greaser 01-16-2004 06:37 AM

its not the exhaust its the additional airflow the exhaust allows the motor to pump. The wastegate becomes too small and the extra air is backed up and goes through the turbine when it should be going through the wastegate, when this happens turbine speed goes up and with it; boost.

themacuser.org 01-16-2004 11:43 AM

Originally posted by gear
get a flowmaster with 3 inch inlet/outlet. it will give a good sound but no tickets. theyve got a whole line of turbo mufflers.
i don't think those are straight-through, and i know they're overpriced.

dynomax race bullet mufflers. 2 or 3 of 'em - 3"-3.5"

you got tickets for your old muffler because it was chrome and gay. :) get large, free-flowing exhaust, and don't put a chrome tip on it. you'll be fine. seriously.

Originally posted by Greaser
its not the exhaust its the additional airflow the exhaust allows the motor to pump. The wastegate becomes too small and the extra air is backed up and goes through the turbine when it should be going through the wastegate, when this happens turbine speed goes up and with it; boost.
yea - what he said. with a turbo, running just a downpipe (if not even less) as large as fucking possible should always be ideal.

mpg9999 01-16-2004 05:07 PM

Originally posted by Greaser
Exactly. Ill say it again, you can never go with to big of an exhaust on a turbo car. No exhaust=best.