Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Nissan Traction Problems

Old 01-10-2003, 10:57 AM
Iridium V

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nissan Traction Problems

I'm referring in particular to the newer FWD Nissans such as the Maxima and Sentra. The only two new cars I've had experience driving. The issue was brought up when one of the members of our team came up to rotate his tyres. (Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-v) "Having traction problems." It was time to rotate them anyway. The tread on all four tyres was more than acceptable. Continental ContiSportContacts, treadwear 240 or 280 I believe. So he's running a fairly soft tyre. I understand that many front wheel drive cars are going to have more traction problems then RWD cars because of weight distribution and inertia. However, I've noticed that the problem is excessive with these cars even from a roll in 1st gear. Our Honda Prelude is pushing greater HP numbers and hooks up much better than any new maxima or sentra I've driven, it's also wearing harder tyres and smaller diameter wheels. I've heard the problem attributed to poor clutch differentials in the nissans.? Anyone know exactly the fault that's causing this? Also, any known modification for the Sentra to reduce torque steer? Thanks for your help.
Old 01-10-2003, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

drifter is an unknown quantity at this point

get a BETTER DIFFERENTIAL! btw, i believe the diff in the sentra is viscous lsd not clutch type...i prefer torsen or clutch type in my experience w/ RWD diffs....i guess i had to post here cause nobody on my team listens to this advice
Old 01-10-2003, 01:07 PM
Atheist.

Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker

I could offer some simple answers if it was a 240 or Z. But not for the cars mentioned. And I highly doubt they have more traction problems than us RWD Nissan drivers.
Old 01-10-2003, 02:27 PM
Former 757'er

Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous

Originally posted by drifter
get a BETTER DIFFERENTIAL! btw, i believe the diff in the sentra is viscous lsd not clutch type...i prefer torsen or clutch type in my experience w/ RWD diffs....i guess i had to post here cause nobody on my team listens to this advice
A good differential will make a world of difference. Also, stiffen up the rear-end to keep more weight on the front tires. Maybe put a little more negative camber on the front wheels.
When the weight transfers back, it picks up the front end, effectively giving the front wheels positive camber.
Old 01-10-2003, 09:41 PM

Shortfuse is an unknown quantity at this point

i would try suspension mods. all cars reach a point where hp and torque gives way to loss of traction. i would try more aggresive suspension and a wider tire. just my 2 cents.
Old 01-11-2003, 07:32 PM
Iridium V

StrangeWings is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow...talking about my car and I didn't even know about it. The lsd in the car is a helical type not a viscous type. Maybe it's just lack of knowledge but I don't think that it would be the lsd anyway because both wheels spin. Maybe a better one would help with the torque steer problem though.
Old 01-13-2003, 04:47 AM

mpg9999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Soft motor mounts could hurt traction too.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:43 AM
<3

Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate

The reason why your having the traction problems with the Spec and not the Prelude is because of one thing....TORQUE!!!

The Spec V can be launched correctly but, it is different to launch than most FWD's because of the low end torque. I rev mine to around 2000 rpm's and FEATHER the clutch out, and feather it out again going into second. You cannot rev to around 4 grand and dump unless you are trying to win a burnout contest.

Yes the stock tires do suck and a good set of sticky tires will help, as well as better motor mounts, and lowering it will help also. I have done all but the mounts.

Oh, and the LSD is Helical not a viscous type, and you really cant do any better differential wise for the Sentra. The Helical has received a lot of praise from the media and does wonders for the car.

Your traction problems lie mostly in technique not the car. A little practice will help it out greatly. New tires will make it feel like a new car though and should be his first mod.

Last edited by Axelerate; 01-13-2003 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:46 AM
Iridium V

StrangeWings is an unknown quantity at this point

Axcelerate...were you at the nissan meet?
Old 01-13-2003, 11:43 AM
<3

Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate

Yes I was.

I had the Silver lowered Spec V.

Quick Reply: Nissan Traction Problems