Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Nissan/SR20 gurus......please help.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:01 PM
eng
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng
Default Re: Nissan/SR20 gurus......please help.

Originally Posted by Beachin_240
Once it's warmed up and I'm driving, I only get to ~2K before it starts stumbling so bad I can hardly accelerate. Any load at all causes it to start sputtering and bucking. It takes ~30 seconds to limp it up to 55mph.
Too much posted for me to read through all of it, but ... what you've described looks awfully similar to this from the factory service manual.

MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR MALFUNCTION

If the mass air flow sensor output voltage is below the specified value, the ECM senses an mass air flow sensor malfunction. In the case of a malfunction, the throttle position sensor substitutes for the mass air flow sensor.
Although the mass air flow sensor is malfunctioning, it is possible to start the engine and drive the vehicle. But engine speed will not rise more than 2,400 rpm in order to inform the driver of fail-safe system operation while driving.
If you've already tested the MAFS properly, disregard
Old 10-14-2008, 03:52 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Yeah, the resistance checked within the specified range the way it was adjusted. At WOT though, it went up twice as high as it should have (10k ohms rather than 5k). I swapped it with a TPS from a known running car, and that sensor did the same thing.

It completely confused me, until I realized that the TPS probably reads a max of 5k ohms with the pedal to the floor, rather than with the throttle body opened all the way by hand; I probably rotated it too far. I felt dumb after that.
Doesn't matter. WOT is WOT, and that is where the WOT reading should be on the TPS. I'd really hope that the throttle body can be opened pretty much all the way with the pedal, else you have some adjusting to do. Disconnect the plug before taking a resistance reading obviously, and make sure you're measuring on the correct terminals.

Really though, the resistance of the TPS doesn't matter, only that it is functioning properly (meaning it is changing resistance with angular position). The output voltage is what needs to be checked and calibrated if the sensor is capable of being moved.

So here is how this works. The TPS is a variable resistor (potentiometer), so it will put out a resistance somewhere between the lowest and highest value (depending on position obviously). The way TPS sensors are wired, the TPS presents a fixed resistance to the ECU from end to end, which are the 5VDC and GND terminals. This resistance doesn't matter, it can be 2k, 5k, 20k, whatever.
The signal output is just the proportion of where the wiper (the moving part) is in relation to the ends. So if the wiper is a 5th of the way toward the 5VDC end of the potentiometer, it will put out 1VDC, regardless of the total resistance of the TPS. This all assumes though that you have 5VDC at the sensor, and not less or more than that. That is why it is often more helpful to check the voltage instead of the resistance. if you know what the voltage should be at idle, and at WOT, for example, and you're out of that range, you know that you may need to rotate the TPS or track down a problem with terminal corrosion, wire corrosion, etc.
Basically, you can test the sensor by measuring voltage or resistance, although voltage usually gives more information and gives that information faster. If the voltage is weird, then you can check the resistance, etc. If not, you can move on to testing the next sensor.

*NOTE*: I did make a slight simplification. TPS sensors, and most 5V based sensors, actually have a signal range of 0.5 to 4.5 VDC so the ECU can detect failure or a disconnected sensor if the range is outside of that. The sensor readings in the manual already reflect that.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 10-14-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:22 PM
NEO VVL N1 BITCHES

JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot

im going to agree that its most likely a MAF sensor. i have one you can try but its in richmond. and i get a constant knock sensor code on my pretty fresh sr20ve, but am having no knock sensor issues. could have something to do with my ecu though.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:38 AM
Snoochie boochies

Beachin_240 has a reputation beyond reputeBeachin_240 has a reputation beyond reputeBeachin_240 has a reputation beyond reputeBeachin_240 has a reputation beyond reputeBeachin_240 has a reputation beyond reputeBeachin_240 has a reputation beyond reputeBeachin_240 has a reputation beyond reputeBeachin_240 has a reputation beyond reputeBeachin_240 has a reputation beyond reputeBeachin_240 has a reputation beyond reputeBeachin_240 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Fitty Tuckin

-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-

Thanks for the help everyone.
Like to know what you find out when you fix it.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:05 AM
Snoochie boochies

Beachin_240 has a reputation beyond reputeBeachin_240 has a reputation beyond reputeBeachin_240 has a reputation beyond reputeBeachin_240 has a reputation beyond reputeBeachin_240 has a reputation beyond reputeBeachin_240 has a reputation beyond reputeBeachin_240 has a reputation beyond reputeBeachin_240 has a reputation beyond reputeBeachin_240 has a reputation beyond reputeBeachin_240 has a reputation beyond reputeBeachin_240 has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely. Time to work on the car is scarce, but I'll update this thread when I have some progress.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:33 AM
Snoochie boochies

Just an update for anyone curious.

MAF sensor was bad. I swapped in a good one and the car runs flawlessly, better than it did before I had these problems. Hauls ass, I didn't know it was supposed to run this well