Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

New frankenstein setup...

Old 04-12-2004, 12:13 AM
Back for more

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GodsOther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New frankenstein setup...

I am looking for some info, I am looking into the following F22B(1/2) bottom end mated to an H22A top end. essentially an F22B1 DOHC VTEC, the reason is this, F22 will take forged pistons in it's stock form (read: no FRM) and the H22 head is rumored to bolt right on with very little modification and run.

So here is what i would like to know, since the F22B's don't rev to the 72-7400 that the H22A head does, so I would like to make the bottom end more compatible with the top end. I would like to know if I could bore the F22B to an 87mm (vise the 85mm factory) bore and drop in H22 pistons which would be the same size. Then I would like to use the H22 rods as well for strength as well as improving the r/s ratio to handle the higher rpm's of the head since they (H22/F22) share the same 55mm crank journal. Would these rods work on the F22B crank? it all sounds to me like it's workable, I have seen a similar setup over on Honda-tech and am thinking of trying my own frankenstein turbo build-up... thoughts?
Old 04-12-2004, 07:15 AM
Captain night owl

vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger
Default Re: New frankenstein setup...

there are f22 dohcs and f20b dohcs you can allready buy.. what is this going in? ive heard of people asking and trying but never seen one completed
Old 04-12-2004, 07:33 AM
poop

Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate

do it.... Do it!
Old 04-13-2004, 05:02 AM
l

WillsH22Accord is an unknown quantity at this point

if you were to bore the f block to match the h22 specs, wouldnt that be kinda pointless?? And if its bored wont it have to be resleeved to take the forged pistons or is it an iron block or something?
Old 04-13-2004, 06:18 AM
Back for more

Nope the boring thing has yet to be done (AFAIK) the point is in the H22 you have the B.S. FRM sleeves which means you have to re-sleeve whenever you change slugs, with the F22 they already have ductile iron sleeves so you don't have to re-sleeve just hone and drop in new slugs, saving approx 800-1200 in machine work, especially since the only reason to re-sleeve a block is to change pistons in the H22 if you don't have to re-sleeve the block to build a beefy turbo motor OR a N/A beast.

vasponger, this is going in a 5th gen lude (eventually). You can buy the F22A7 (read: expensive) DOHC accord engines from the 6th gens I believe. But thats no cheaper then a H22, the idea is that the F22B1/2's are plentiful, cheap and easy to mate to the better H22A valvetrain, (They only require the plugging of 2 holes in the block) which is also relatively easy to find for a modest price making it a DOHC F22B1 ready for large amounts of boost. I plan on building it for 17psi, so it should produce ~150hp N/A, now shove 17psi at it and
Old 04-13-2004, 09:47 AM
Captain night owl

vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger

well 150hp for a dohc? is that at the wheels i hope.... the f22 is a pretty strong block. have fun.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:18 PM
Back for more

Well it will only be 8.8:1 compression vice the stock 9.xx or 10.xx for the lude
Old 04-13-2004, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

Michael12602 is an unknown quantity at this point

can you mat a sohc block to a dohc head and what would possiby be the point
wouldnt you rather have a h22 or h23 block
Old 04-13-2004, 06:12 PM
Back for more

Yes the bottom ends on the blocks (F22B1/2 and H22A) are the same, the heads are what makes the difference in power (coupled with compression) The point is being able to rebuild it without re-sleeving because the H22's have FRM sleeves and the F22 have ductile iron sleeves which would save 1200 or so, you can set the bottom end up for high amounts of boost WITHOUT having to resleeve just drop some fresh forged slugs and rings in and go. rather then spend the 2k for the H22 motor and another 1200 or so for a resleeving you just buy a F22B1 or 2 block for less then 1k drop new slugs in it and mate it to a H22 Head and then you now effectively have a low comp forged piston H22 which will handle good amounts of boost.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:48 AM

Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma

So you're trying something that hasn't been done before, with lots of skepticism, to see how well it works?

Quick Reply: New frankenstein setup...