Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Need some help please...

Old 07-21-2010, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ebach007 has disabled reputation
Default Need some help please...

95 Integra, b20 V-tec

Went to go start my car and it turned over but spudered and shut off. Tried started it again and gave it alittle gas when it turned over and it would stay started but was spuddering really hard so I let it shut off again. Opened hood and noticed one of the distributor cap bolts had come completely loose and there was alittle gap between the cap and the distributor. So I tighted the bolt down and checked the other two. Tried started it again and it did the same thing.

Any ideas???
Old 07-22-2010, 07:42 AM
Registered Member

Benz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need some help please...

Have you pulled the distro cap and checked the rotor and cap contact conditions? Any arc burns, copper damage from arcing?
Old 07-22-2010, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

No I have not checked that out...just tighted up the bolts and hoped that fixed it, and when it didnt I went out and bought new cap, rotor, and wires. Putting them on today, so I guess if there is any arc burns on the components, I have new ones...
Old 07-22-2010, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

Took the cap off, all I see is white residue on the contacts of the cap, and some what it looks to be copper residue on the inner walls of the cap. rotor is just a little brown on the edge...

Last edited by ebach007; 07-22-2010 at 01:52 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 07-22-2010, 02:02 PM
FACK YER ESS PEE OHH

all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's all4sr's

You get your parts in today??

LMK if you need help man, you haz my numba yo
Old 07-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Assuming that the mechanical timing of the distributor hasn't changed for some reason (like it moved, etc), new rotor parts should work fine unless you've somehow damaged something from the arc voltage. Having too large of a gap between the contacts makes a high voltage before the arc jumps the gap, so it's possible that you've damaged something with too much voltage.

Anyway, see what happens when you replace the parts, and go from there.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

replaced the rotor, went to install new cap, and it is the wrong one, bolt holes don't line up. I know Ive got a gsr head, but the guy I bought it from never told me what year the head was. So I guessed 99, cause thats what the block is. First time messing around with an import, so im definently learning some lessons.

Any way to tell what year gsr head I have?? only number I saw on the head was p72-1.

also there is a number on the distributor, anyway that could help me out with purchasing the correct cap??
Old 07-23-2010, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

Benz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ebach007
with an import, so im definently learning some lessons.

Any way to tell what year gsr head I have?? only number I saw on the head was p72-1.

also there is a number on the distributor, anyway that could help me out with purchasing the correct cap??
Just go int with the old cap and compare it to other ones they may have in stock and see if they match Sorry I can't do much research on that type of head on what year it is GL
Old 07-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Registered Member

Thats the plan...thx for your input
Old 07-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Hi

Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be

Originally Posted by ebach007
replaced the rotor, went to install new cap, and it is the wrong one, bolt holes don't line up. I know Ive got a gsr head, but the guy I bought it from never told me what year the head was. So I guessed 99, cause thats what the block is. First time messing around with an import, so im definently learning some lessons.

In the circles on the exhaust side of the head. see pic below.

Quick Reply: Need some help please...