Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

In need of a how to

Old 09-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Function > Form

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY
Default In need of a how to

I searched here and on HT and I didnt find anything particularly usefull. I need a how to guide for changing front brake pads and rotors on a 1995 Integra LS. Dealership wanted almost $400 for it so Im going to gauge the difficulty and go from there.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:33 PM
Huntin Dropa ForLife

RPRacing has disabled reputation
Default Re: In need of a how to

*********************RPRACING DISCLAIMER*********************
*****I've done billions of brake jobs. I make it sound easy; to me it is easy. I've seen almost every imaginable problem, but thankfully i'm sure there are some i have dealt with. You might read my instructions and bust it out in 30min-1hr. You might see my instructions and proceed to be incompetant with tools and mess your car up like I've seen all too often. My advice - Put money in my pocket so I can do the job right the first time and you can barely have time to drink a beer while I do it.*****

-Jack car up and suppor twith jack stands
-Remove front wheels (placing them under the car for extra safety and to keep out of your way)
-On the back of the caliper and mounting backet, there are 2 12mm bolts, remove the bottom one.
-Swing the caliper upward
-Remove the outer brake pad
-Swing the caliper back down
-Use a pry bar to pry the caliper away from the framerail (you are not trying to remove the caliper here, what this does is compresses the piston in the caliper saving you much headache later)
-Remove the Inner brake pad
-Remover the 2 17mm caliper Mounting bracket bolts on the backside of the steering knuckle/caliper
-Use and Impact Hammer (with a p3 bit) to remove the 2 screws holding the rotor in place (if you do not have an impact hammer, take a BFH [Big F'n Hammer] and hit the hell out of the rotor as if you're trying to break it. this will break the 2 screws free and you can use a regular screwdriver to remove them)
-Remove old rotor
-Install new rotor (line up the tapered holes in the rotors with the threaded holes in the hub)
-Install new rotor screws (if you break them or dont want to, its ok they are only there to stabilize the rotor when the wheel is off, they do not serve any purpose when the wheels are securely fastened)
-Reinstall the Caliper mounting bracket/caliper (2 17mm bolts)
-Install the inner brake pad
-Pry again to compress the piston
-Install the outer brake pad
-Tighten the 12mm caliper bolt
-(not necessary, but reccomended)Bleed brakes (because you're already in there)
-Reinstall wheels (torque to 80ft-lbs)
-If they're just replacement pads/rotors on a street car, and nothing special, just drive easy for a little while, disregard the hype about seating/cycling heat through the new brakes.

-Francisco
Old 09-16-2008, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

1SlowSi 1SlowSi 1SlowSi 1SlowSi 1SlowSi 1SlowSi 1SlowSi 1SlowSi 1SlowSi 1SlowSi 1SlowSi

Well, ill do it for a case of beer.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:18 AM
Function > Form

6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY

Originally Posted by 1SlowSi
haha where you at?
Old 09-19-2008, 05:20 AM
Function > Form

Originally Posted by 1SlowSi
haha where you at?

Thanks for the info Francisco!
Old 09-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

visching101 has disabled reputation

Its really not hard, Dealerships just like to over charge. If you dont wanna do it on your own, trying bringing it to a gass station. But the parts yourself at autozone and they shouldnt charge to much for doing the work.