Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

need help!!! tranny problems

Old 09-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weldmandingo has disabled reputation
Default need help!!! tranny problems

DELETE!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Weldmandingo; 11-11-2008 at 10:59 AM. Reason: DELETE!!!!
Old 09-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Slappin Curtis

bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004
Default Re: need help!!! tranny problems

Originally Posted by majorpain
Hey guys i just got a 1990 integra da with a b20 swap and i think its got the ls tranny in it ( but not sure )
anyways when i shift into 2nd and 3rd gears and let out the clutch its make a pretty loud winding noise, but it seems to only do it in those gears and also when i leave it in 3rd gear and cruise it sometimes pops out of gear.. Dont really know a whole lot about trannys...

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!!!

also how do i find out exactly what tranny it is in it???
Im guessing its still a cable transmission?If so its a YS1,however Honda didnt make it too easy to determine the differences in the transmissions.The (YS1) was also labeled for the 93 GSR as well.They have weak synchros.Normally it is the 3rd gear sychro that gets messed up.The final drive is 4.40:1 i belive? Start by checking,draining and replacing the fluid with Honda MTF,or GM Synchromesh.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

type.r_eghatch has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by bluesrt2004
Im guessing its still a cable transmission?If so its a YS1,however Honda didnt make it too easy to determine the differences in the transmissions.The (YS1) was also labeled for the 93 GSR as well.They have weak synchros.Normally it is the 3rd gear sychro that gets messed up.The final drive is 4.40:1 i belive? Start by checking,draining and replacing the fluid with Honda MTF,or GM Synchromesh.
lol he didn't say anything about grinding, your throw out bearing or input shaft is messed up. does it make this noise just sitting still without the clutch pushed down?
Old 09-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Registered Member

ya
Old 09-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

type.r_eghatch has disabled reputation

Well usually when it's the throw out bearing it makes the noise at all times without the clutch pushed in. I don't know why it just does it in 2nd and 3rd.......maybe it's the gears inside the tranny themselves..........
Old 09-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

i fuckin hope not !!!!!
Old 09-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Slappin Curtis

bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004

Originally Posted by type.r_eghatch
lol he didn't say anything about grinding, your throw out bearing or input shaft is messed up. does it make this noise just sitting still without the clutch pushed down?
He said it pops out of gear as well,ive seen a few hondas just low on transmission fluid that never made a grinding sound,they just whined.Your going to be hard pressed to find a YS1 Cable transmission that doesnt have some sort of synchro damage.They are a known weak link.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:58 AM
Registered Member

thanks for the help everyone
Old 09-13-2008, 08:38 AM
Huntin Dropa ForLife

RPRacing has disabled reputation

could be any cable trans. a1, s1, j1, ys1 (GSR), ys1 (LS).

somewhat true. Hopefully you have either of the ys1s. If you do, you can buy or take parts out of a 94+ hydro trans and use them in there with no issues. The 90-91 trans's (the others i listed) have a different internal design

Originally Posted by type.r_eghatch
He said it pops out of gear as well,ive seen a few hondas just low on transmission fluid that never made a grinding sound,they just whined.Your going to be hard pressed to find a YS1 Cable transmission that doesnt have some sort of synchro damage.They are a known weak link.
I would say:
1- Change trans fluid. dont just try to add. drain. then refill. You need 2.3qts.
2- Check shift bushings. Worn bushings can pull it out.
3- Check throwout bearing.
-----a- Start car in neutral
-----b- Push in clutch
-----c- Listen for noise
-----d- Release clutch
-----e- Listen for noise
-----f- If noise is present when clutch is released but not when pressed, your throwout bearing needs to be replaced. (trans needs to be removed. Since you're in there, I also reccomend changing clutch kits, as a new kit will include the bearing you need and you'll already be paying for the same labor)
4- Check Exhaust piping shift linkage clearance. I've seen them interfere and cause shifting problems
5- check your Spring pin (bitch pin). if its loose, it might be pulling on the selector without you knowing.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

minnis4g63 has disabled reputation

i had a trans that did the same thing after i pulled and tore it down it was a multitude of problems the final drive was bad the syncro and bearings for second and third. but the throw out bearing does not whine while pushed in and pressure put to bearing it normally does it while its free spinning on the input shaft. i have a 94 turbo b17a integra and a turbo 97 d series that identicial problems occured

Quick Reply: need help!!! tranny problems