Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Need Help: Tranny Prob

Old 08-06-2004, 05:48 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skeeter has disabled reputation
Default Need Help: Tranny Prob

Hey all -- could use some advise from some gearheads here as I'm not too bright when it comes to vehicles.

I have a stock 6spd Manual 2003 Tiburon. About 30k miles on it.I'll be taking it next week for service so I'll find out for sure what the issue is -- just would like some peace of mind for what I might be payin for.

Yesterday I had a problem shifting into any gear from a cold start -- it felt like it wasn't matching up correctly and I really had to force it in gear. After running for a bit it went away and seemed fine. Last night however, I could not get it in reverse for the life of me. Exact same issue -- felt like it wasn't matchign up, or that somehting was blockin it. However, I turn off the vehicle and I can shift fine -- which leads me to believe it is the throwout bearing.

So again -- very VERY difficult to shift while car is on, if i put in gear and start and drive for a bit it goes away after driving for a little. If it is the throwout bearin is that replacable or servicable? Does this mean i'm droppin 1k on a new clutch? The clutch doesn't feel like it's slipping -- in fact feels pretty solid.

Thoughts? Comments? Cheesy Poofs?
Old 08-06-2004, 06:14 AM
Eat me.

Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta
Default Re: Need Help: Tranny Prob

i bet someone will say:
"it's because it's a hyundai"
Old 08-06-2004, 07:07 AM
Registered Member

And I will promptly reply: suck my balls.

Quality reports speak for themselves and I have no doubt that this is not just a "Hyundai" problem.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:15 AM
Registered Member

SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie

Originally Posted by Skeeter
Does this mean i'm droppin 1k on a new clutch? The clutch doesn't feel like it's slipping -- in fact feels pretty solid.
If you pay 1000 for a clutch I will laugh at you.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:20 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

it is going to be an issue with the release of the clutch. the actual clutch may be fine, but you could have a leaking slave (or master) cylinder that is allowing air to get into the system, or there could be a problem with the release fork.

the not being able to get it to go into reverse is the clue for a clutch that is not fully releasing. you can go into forward gears, with effort, because of the syncros doing their job. but reverse is a non syncro gear....

check your clutch fluid, and see. i am willing to bet that you have a leak in the system. i say this because it is a common issue with alot of hyundais. you got a very good warranty on the car, so there should be no issue with it being repaired.

just letting you know what it will be. good luck!
Old 08-06-2004, 07:23 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by fc735
it is going to be an issue with the release of the clutch. the actual clutch may be fine, but you could have a leaking slave (or master) cylinder that is allowing air to get into the system, or there could be a problem with the release fork.

the not being able to get it to go into reverse is the clue for a clutch that is not fully releasing. you can go into forward gears, with effort, because of the syncros doing their job. but reverse is a non syncro gear....

check your clutch fluid, and see. i am willing to bet that you have a leak in the system. i say this because it is a common issue with alot of hyundais. you got a very good warranty on the car, so there should be no issue with it being repaired.

just letting you know what it will be. good luck!
Major Cheesy Poofs to you! Appreciate your informative comments

As i said -- it works itself out after 10 minutes or so of driving -- so sounds like something when i start the car is causing this. Dunno if the lines are "primed" and that's what's causing a posisble leak etc. I did check the tranny fluid resevoir and it's still full...

Last edited by Skeeter; 08-06-2004 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:25 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkie
If you pay 1000 for a clutch I will laugh at you.
I quote that as a direct replacment of the stock clutch system including labor. I read another tiburon owner needing a clutch replacement paying that a ta dealership.

Now i've looked and have found a ClutchMaster StgII for 645, and I don't know what install costs will be. But that's only after a short search.

I hope to god i don't spend 1k on it -- that's pretty sad.

Rather than laugh at me -- how bout a little helpful insight and suggest what you believe more reasonable? Ya know.. add some value to the thread?
Old 08-06-2004, 02:20 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

that doesnt work here at DragVA....you are lucky i didnt do that
Old 08-16-2004, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

Well i honestly wish it was as simple as a leak in the line -- i've been informed it's the clutch worn improperly and it took the flywheel with it.

I'm not debating sellin the car back to dealership and cutitn my loses or goin aftermarket road and runnin the risk of something else going wrong down the line.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:31 PM
1999 Eclipse GS-T

gstrbo99 has disabled reputation

whast the correct process for wearing in a new clutch? jsut liek a motort i ask because i jsut got mine replaced and ive just been driving normally everyone wants me to step on it but im jsut taking it easy, only been 60miles since install

Quick Reply: Need Help: Tranny Prob