Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Need Help:: Tranny Install

Old 07-04-2004, 09:14 AM
U R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
neRos neRos neRos neRos neRos neRos neRos neRos neRos neRos neRos
Default Need Help:: Tranny Install

If anyone has any info on how to help me get my tranny installed quicker.. It would be greatly appreciated..

- Its already in the engine bay, I just can't get it to fit..

- But it just won't GO IN.. any advice?
Old 07-04-2004, 09:23 AM
The Comeback Kid

Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76 Nato76
Default Re: Need Help:: Tranny Install

Wiggle it. Shake it. Jam it in
Old 07-04-2004, 04:57 PM
U R

aiight... well we got the tranny in long time ago... the thing is.. i think we missed something, because it started up and working fine... but then started smoking.. but i think it is fron the coolant that was spilled on there from last night when removing the coolant fan... but now the engine doesn't start.. after we turned it off.. can anyone run down a list of stuff that should be done when reinstalling a tranny? so that we can figure out what we missed or figure out what coulda came unplugged or something..
Old 07-04-2004, 06:43 PM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

this is an old D series write up I did but a B series install is essentially the same as well.

this is the basic rundown in order on how to take it out.

-pull starter
-pull axles
-remove linkage (find a push pin...8mm)
-drain tranny fluid while you are down there
-unhook VSS sensor
-remove header
-remove the slave that moves the shift fork and bend it out of the way, i usually sit it on the pass. side fender behind the headlight.
-remove the 4 bolts facing the pass. side mount that hold it to the block (i think 4 might be 5..)
-remove the three bolts that hold the tranny to the rear mount (dont remove the rear mount)
-put a jack under teh tranny to support it and remove the bolt in the pass. side motor mount.
-wiggle the tranny till it comes free of the dowel pins and remove it from the bottom of the car
-remove PP (10mm 12 points hold it on, pretty sure 10mm)
-clutch disc will about fall out
-remove 6 17mm 12 point flywheel bolts

then it's just reverse of install. make sure you put the dowel pins back in the block if they fall out. there are two. the hardest part is getting the tranny back on the block. get one dowel pin in the block/tranny and then move it to get the other one in and tighten down a couple bolts and make sure everything sits right. grease up the TO bearing and input shaft liberally. make sure the shift fork moves easily back in forth on the ball it sits on w/out popping off before you put the tranny on. remember to add oil, either honda MTF or 10w-30 oil. DO NOT NOT NOT USE SYNTHETIC!!!

you only remove the clutch/flywheel if you are replacing the clutch. make sure before you remove the pressure plate that you have the new PP, clutch disc, TO bearing, pilot bearing...and most importantly, the ALIGNMENT TOOL lol....because they are fucking hard to find. its a very good idea to resurface a flywheel before you put a new clutch on it.
Old 07-04-2004, 06:44 PM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

I can look at it if you are in the VB area.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:51 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

only if its stock do you need to remove the header, if its aftermarket like a dc or something,youll be alright....

Last edited by MORE IMPATIENT; 07-05-2004 at 05:34 AM.
Old 07-05-2004, 05:41 AM
U R

well.. from what you advised... we did what was needed to be done... but yea.. you don't need to remove the headers... we think its the starter.. but don't know what about it.. thanks for the help though guys..

we'd be in vb if the car DID start already.. hah..
Old 07-05-2004, 06:23 AM
SPAWN OF A NEW OP!

THE BEAST is an unknown quantity at this point

sometimes the starters stick....are you getting power at the ignition? if you think the starter might be stuck...try tapping it with a hammer while one of you try to crank it over...sometimes that will break it free(tap, dont beat like an ex-girlfriend)
Old 07-05-2004, 08:34 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

Originally Posted by THE BEAST
sometimes the starters stick....are you getting power at the ignition? if you think the starter might be stuck...try tapping it with a hammer while one of you try to crank it over...sometimes that will break it free(tap, dont beat like an ex-girlfriend)

yep, it sure will, mines doing that right now, i just swapped my tranny and finished it at noon or so, 2nd time in 2 days cause i think i put the gsr trans together wrong, i tapped it a couple times and nothing, its done it before so camp is gonna come pick me up and were gonaa go get me a new starter........
Old 07-05-2004, 01:39 PM
U R

thanx... well that sounds like something i had done earliar... well before i just read this... but we got the car running.. but its still having that same problem when the whole situatioin started... the gears are grinding... cause it grinds on 3rd like before.. but then we kept driving it, but then it all ended up grinding up the tranny which we had replaced... anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be now?... cause its the clutch now..

Last edited by neRos; 07-06-2004 at 08:30 AM.