Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

need help with RHD conversion.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:22 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fltblk05 has disabled reputation
Default need help with RHD conversion.

im tryin to find out the best way to do a RHD conversion on my 240.i have a complete RHD front clip.ive been told to cut my car in half and weld the RHD one on.ive also been told to just take all the RHD stuff off and put it on my car and cut the firewall out and install it on my car aswell.any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:27 AM
MAGICAL FRIENDSHIP

streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp
Default Re: need help with RHD conversion.

It can be really dangerous to just front clip the entire car. You should just cut out the firewall and move it over.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:43 AM
Registered Member

thats what i thought.i was lookin at the RHD front clip pillars and there is alot of bracing in there and i wouldnt know how somebody would weld em.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:04 AM
The REAL Captain JDM

slowEK9 slowEK9 slowEK9 slowEK9 slowEK9 slowEK9 slowEK9 slowEK9 slowEK9 slowEK9 slowEK9

yea....its really dangerous to do the front clip by just cutting in half. just go with the firewall swap. Its better and more structurally sound then choppin the car in half!
Old 12-13-2006, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

thanks guys.i appreciate all the help.does anybody know of anyone that would be willing to this and would do a good job?
Old 12-13-2006, 09:53 AM
Lost Cat Magnet

drifterJERRY is an unknown quantity at this point

you could just by mine. but seriously, its a super pita. cut the firewall, DO NOT cut the car in 1/2. thats dangerous as shit.

i also braced my firewall using strips of flat iron all the way around and up and down. it has a tendancy to be flimsy if not. you will also have to cut a few holes for windshield wipers, interior fuse block (big square plug). its a really big job and i wouldnt trust it to anyone who wasnt willing to put 100% in to it. the more time you put into it, the better it will look. also, you will have to either cut the interior steering column support or adapt one since the LHD wont just 'swap'. expect a lotta time cutting and grinding. oh, and wiring the back 1/2.

finally, good luck.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:06 AM
Registered Member

thanks man.i appreciate it.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:43 AM
Got Ink?

SlowKOUKI has a reputation beyond reputeSlowKOUKI has a reputation beyond reputeSlowKOUKI has a reputation beyond reputeSlowKOUKI has a reputation beyond reputeSlowKOUKI has a reputation beyond reputeSlowKOUKI has a reputation beyond reputeSlowKOUKI has a reputation beyond reputeSlowKOUKI has a reputation beyond reputeSlowKOUKI has a reputation beyond repute

If you do this, make sure you post progress pics!
Old 12-13-2006, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

not a problem.i probably wont start until next week.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:45 PM
Virginia Beach 757

_crs has disabled reputation

I've helped a couple people do RHDs on 240s. Huge PITA firewall is the way to go. You would have no structure with a 1/2 weld >< the car would split itself on the 1/2 weld first chance! If you work on it seriously 8-10hours a day it should take you about 2-3 weeks. Do one car at a time, remember where everything goes, take a SHIT LOAD of pictures, put the everywhere..by the 4th time we did this it took us a good 6 days to do one. The first time >< man was I a pissed of sammabeeytach for 3 weeks.

Quick Reply: need help with RHD conversion.