Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

NEED HELP AMP INSTALL

Old 01-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
surfguy900 has disabled reputation
Default NEED HELP AMP INSTALL

Installed my brand new mtx amp. Except it has the red light showing not the green one. any ideas checked everythng i think.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:03 PM
loves quervo

uglyDC2 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: NEED HELP AMP INSTALL

good clean solid ground connections and faulty fuses are the most common mistakes
Old 01-18-2009, 05:46 PM
supermoto or bust

Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones

undo the speaker wire from the amp for a minute and see if it still does it. its going into protect and that just means you have crossing wires somewhere more than likely. just make sure your wires arent touching anything except the terminals and no other terminals as well.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:30 AM
Registered Member

The_Truth The_Truth

Check both the internal fuses on the amp and the in-line fuse on the power cable. If possible check them with a meter, not just by eye, because I've had fuses before that have blown but they looked fine visibly. I tested them with a meter and no current was actually passing through them. If that isn't the problem it is very likely that either the ground is not proper or the remote turn on wire (the one that connects to the system remote lead on the back of your CD player) is not connected properly.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:51 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

When I hooked mine up years ago, make sure your remote wire is hooked up.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:15 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Always hook the amp up to power and ground first, hook up the remote wire, and see if it powers on normally. Then hook up the speakers. In your case, I would disconnect the speaker wires from the amp, and check to see if the amp status changes. If it does, check the resistance of the speakers where the wires were connected to the amp to see if you made a wiring mistake and have a short or a unacceptably low impedance load.

If the amp is still going into protect mode with proper power and ground (and no speakers connected), it's probably time to call up and get an RMA to send the amp back. It's not unheard of for amps to fail out of the box. It's rare, but it happens. Whatever you do, make absolutely sure you have a correct speaker configuration before you try another amp though. If you accidentally damaged the first amp, you could instantly do the same to a second one.

Originally Posted by The_Truth
Check both the internal fuses on the amp and the in-line fuse on the power cable. If possible check them with a meter, not just by eye, because I've had fuses before that have blown but they looked fine visibly. I tested them with a meter and no current was actually passing through them. If that isn't the problem it is very likely that either the ground is not proper or the remote turn on wire (the one that connects to the system remote lead on the back of your CD player) is not connected properly.
Just to elaborate, take the fuse out of the fuse holder, and check the resistance. It should be almost zero.

Checking current through a fuse when it's in the fuse holder won't necessarily tell you anything. If the amp is in protect mode, or not properly turning on, it could/should draw very little current. Taking a current measurement therefore won't really tell you anything about the health of the fuse.

Originally Posted by RandomTask
When I hooked mine up years ago, make sure your remote wire is hooked up.
Usually a disconnected remote wire won't trigger a protection light, else the protection light would be on whenever the head unit is turned off.