Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

need help,93 mazda protege

Old 09-02-2006, 10:10 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sive ick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default need help,93 mazda protege

so my moms 93 maza protege was submerged in the flood we had,and now when it starts it will run for maybe 45 seconds then it weezes and turns off,while it is off you can hear it short circuiting from the intake,and after unpluggin the fuel rail it doesnt do it,and dont say get a new car,ive tried to tell her that for years,she drove this off the lot in 93 and loves the car.So i was wondering what i should replace im going to get her new sparkplugs and change all the fluids,and give it a try,but i was wondering what do yall prefer me also getting,shes getting all new belts on it,timing,ac,alternator,new plug wires,and maybe new injectors.

and help given is greatly appreciated
Old 09-02-2006, 10:37 AM
Speak&Spell Anyone?

Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell
Default Re: need help,93 mazda protege

sounds like you got it all covered!
Old 09-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Banned

o ok i was just double checking thanks
Old 09-02-2006, 08:08 PM
Banned

ok,so i swapped out the plugs,it starts,but the check engine light comes on now and i can tell theres a short in the intake.Theres is one plug i know for sure there is a short in and i will take pics asap.I was just curious,since the car was flooded by the rain and not driven in water,do you think if it just dried out then it would go back to normal or is that not the case?
Old 09-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

MaxPower MaxPower MaxPower MaxPower MaxPower

Originally Posted by sive ick
ok,so i swapped out the plugs,it starts,but the check engine light comes on now and i can tell theres a short in the intake.Theres is one plug i know for sure there is a short in and i will take pics asap.I was just curious,since the car was flooded by the rain and not driven in water,do you think if it just dried out then it would go back to normal or is that not the case?

What do you mean when you say theres a short in the intake? Does it have a maf?

I dont know anything about Mazdas or how badly your mom's car was submerged, but I would take off the IM if it was submerged to the throttlebody. Also is the wireing harness still fine?
Did you do the "wiggle test"?
Old 09-03-2006, 06:21 AM
Banned

Yes,i agree i know nothing about mazdas either thats why i am seeking help,and yes i do believe it has the sensor on the throttle body.Yet the plus i am talking about is connected to the fuel rail.Harness is fine.

This is what it does

Power seatbelts-arent working
Wont go into gear
Idles at 500 ands weezes every so often
Theres this button on the gear shift knob called hold,which when pressed it raises your rpm to give you more torque for say hill climbing,well that flickers and makes the rpms flicker also

well i have work today untill 10 but here are some pictures

this is where it starts

i followed it and it travles through a plastic tube which i belive it is just a ground for all the injectors,yes a ground for sure.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:57 AM
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA

how high did the water get up to the car?
Old 09-03-2006, 07:12 AM
Banned

im not to sure,on the insider you can tell that the bottom of the speaker cover got pretty wet.good news is that i got it to start and drive(spit a lot of water out which is sorta a plus sign)Well it still has minor misfunctions,but while im at work my moms going to take it to this shop she has been going to for many many years and get it looked at and all that good stuff.