Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Nasty Sound when turning wheels left or right only when cars running!

Old 11-12-2010, 08:38 AM
無限

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civichm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nasty Sound when turning wheels left or right only when cars running!

Alright lets see here, When Im parked, or driving (driving slow ofcourse so I can hear it) I turn the wheel to the left or right (it will do it right after I slighty turn the wheel) It makes a metal screeching sound. Loud enough to be annoying an noticable (Thats the best way I can describe it, all an all its just an annoying screeching sound) At first I thought It was dust shield hitting tie rod end maybe. But its not. I dont see anything underneath there rubbing. But its only when car is on as ive notice (and it is power steering) so i dont know if it has anything to do with that or not. I know its hard to diagnose with out looking at it so If anyone can throw their 2 cents in an gimme some ideas at what to check that would be appreciated. Thanks again.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:49 AM
WEEEEEEEEEEE

TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT
Default Re: Nasty Sound when turning wheels left or right only when cars running!

Originally Posted by civichm
Alright lets see here, When Im parked, or driving (driving slow ofcourse so I can hear it) I turn the wheel to the left or right (it will do it right after I slighty turn the wheel) It makes a metal screeching sound. Loud enough to be annoying an noticable (Thats the best way I can describe it, all an all its just an annoying screeching sound) At first I thought It was dust shield hitting tie rod end maybe. But its not. I dont see anything underneath there rubbing. But its only when car is on as ive notice (and it is power steering) so i dont know if it has anything to do with that or not. I know its hard to diagnose with out looking at it so If anyone can throw their 2 cents in an gimme some ideas at what to check that would be appreciated. Thanks again.
I'll hazard a guess: Could be the belt, or pump failing.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:31 PM
B.E.T.P.

hatchblack has disabled reputation
Default Re: Nasty Sound when turning wheels left or right only when cars running!

+1. belts prob loose on your power steering
Old 11-13-2010, 05:07 AM
U LòÓk Mad !!

CarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these partsCarShowz is infamous around these parts

did you check ur power steering fluid level?? check that the belt has good tension and check that ur power steering pulley is properly/securely bolted in place.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:57 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

The first person to mention using belt dressing gets a boot to the nuts.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Registered Member

backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms

d00d, try belt dressing!

Haha, no but like everyone else is saying, check your belt and fluid level. In a lot of cars, if you turn the wheel too far you'll get that noise too.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:00 PM
make 7 UP yours

dXXX96civic has a reputation beyond reputedXXX96civic has a reputation beyond reputedXXX96civic has a reputation beyond reputedXXX96civic has a reputation beyond reputedXXX96civic has a reputation beyond reputedXXX96civic has a reputation beyond reputedXXX96civic has a reputation beyond reputedXXX96civic has a reputation beyond reputedXXX96civic has a reputation beyond reputedXXX96civic has a reputation beyond repute

get a can of belt dressing and lube up your rear end, if its still screeching try Mentholatum
all joke aside, I am stepping out of this one....
Old 11-14-2010, 06:19 AM
無限

civichm is an unknown quantity at this point

I was under there yesterday and I found what it was. It was the Bushing thats on the axle in the middle. Stabalizer bushing or whatever. And It was rubbing the underneath of the Alternator bracket. It hard worn through that bracket all the way to the metal and so that metal was what I was hearing. And it was hitting ofcourse sense car is low. I just shoved it up the axle more so It was out of way of that.

Thanks for the 2 cents from everybody!!