Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

my eg8 is running rich need help!

Old 11-15-2012, 05:21 PM
eg8
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eg8 has disabled reputation
Default my eg8 is running rich need help!

I have a 1992 civic 4 door with a d15b7. Recently had another engine put in put its idleing funny i cleaned out my fitv valve intake manifold and has all new gaskets also it smokes alot of blue smoke. So i am thinking its running rich.
could use all the help i can get thanks!!
Old 11-15-2012, 05:44 PM
2doors plus 2.

Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors

Blue smoke would be oil, so your burning oil. If it was running rich then you would smell gas. Did you have the motor refreshened before you or whoever dropped it in?

Basically you need more information on the history of the motor and what you did before you put it in. What you did tends to fix a healthy motor from idling funny if you didn't compression test the motor before you dropped it in you fucked up from the start.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:23 PM
2doors plus 2.

Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors

Originally Posted by Paxton144
Oil, check your oil! Be sure you have enough in your engine. If your losing a lot look at getting a rebuilt engine, or changing the car. Don't neglect this issue, it will come back to bite you! and probably soon!
I don't see where there is any technical knowledge behind your statement, I'm sure op doesn't want to spend the money on another motor and would rather fix the one he has since you can pick them up a dime a dozen.

More than likely op's problem is shot piston rings but he hasn't stated anything wrong other than he thinks it running rich.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:45 AM
Registered Member

autoexperts has disabled reputation
Default Re: my eg8 is running rich need help!!!!!!!!!!!

Would have to agree, from info provided sounds like a internal mechanical failure and not a rich condition. I would start with some basic test like compression, leak down and engine vacum... the results from these test will give enough info on where you need to be looking to fix your problem.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:25 PM
eg8
Registered Member

it still smokes blue and kinda smells like gas but i put a new coolant control valve in and fixed my leaky exhaust. but i had my friend look at it and said the valves are sticking a little and he thinks the valve seals are bad. ill be rebuilding the head soon so i hope that will fix it. thanks for the help guys!!
Old 11-22-2012, 06:34 PM
eg8
Registered Member

also i did do a compression test before i had it put in and didn't have a problem. and when i started it up for the first time the valve were ticking like crazy so i had them adjusted. but right its running good except for the blue smoke.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:51 AM
2doors plus 2.

Well, the only problem I see is that your valve seals would be absolutely terrible for your car to keep smoking after 5 minutes and not burn off by then. If you did have a valve adjustment then how come this wasn't caught before?
I still think you have bad rings or a tore up cylinder wall or something of that nature, honestly because its a d series I would just rebuild or buy another one from j-spec
Old 11-28-2012, 01:12 AM
Registered Member

boosted_gsr93 has disabled reputation

Ok, for starters... blue is oil, black is rich, and white is coolant. i hate to say it, but I'm agreeing with Yep4doors. You are better off buying a new swap. If you are looking to rebuild, somethings to look for. After pulling the head off the block. Look at your cylinder walls, if there is black shading on them. Below the carbon ring. That is a good sign that your rings a fuked. As far as the valve seals, you should be able to see the difference between the old ones and the new ones. Number one over looked thing, and eight times out of ten is the reason hondas smoke. Say it with me " VALVE GUIDES ". At the end of your day, replacing the valve guides will most likely be the top charge for the machine shop bill. If i were you, i would save my cash up. Buy a known good swap, and until then. just keep adding cheap ass oil to your d15. Good luck.....
Old 11-28-2012, 05:35 PM
eg8
Registered Member

how much do you think it would be to have it all done at da machine shop. like 180?
Old 11-28-2012, 05:42 PM
2doors plus 2.

You best option there would be calling some local reputable machine shops and seeing what they charge.

But before you go through all the trouble you should get a certified mechanic to look at you symptoms and make sure you know exactly what your problems are. In all honesty buying a used swap from j-spec would probably be the most cost effective solution if it does need head work or block work because those things aren't exactly cheap in terms of a d series motor.

Last edited by Yep4doors; 11-28-2012 at 05:44 PM.

Quick Reply: my eg8 is running rich need help!