Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

my 89 crx si won't start im stumped

Old 10-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jaydmdc2 has disabled reputation
Default my 89 crx si won't start im stumped

ok so im leaving my girlfreinds house and pull out of her neighborhood onto a main road and my car stutters for about 2 secs and shuts off. i pulled over tried to start it back up and it would just crank. the first thing that came to my head was main relay but i begin checking other stuff to. i have no blown fuses, my fuel pump is turning on and priming.i took the dizzy cap off and took a look and that and my rotor both look fine and both are new actually like 2 month's old. i touched the main relay when i turned the ignition on to see if i felt and heard 3 clicks like im suppose to and i feel and here 2. so by that point i was sure it was the relay. i went and bout a 56 dollor relay from autozone plugged it up tried to start it and nothing still and im only still getting 2 clicks even from the new relay the only thing's left are the ignitor and coil that i think it could be but what stumps me is i don't understang why im only getting 2 clicks with the new relay? does anyone know what that third click is for. im almost certain it's the ignitor now but can anyone help me out with this. also when i turn the key to the on position i though t i was suppose to see the red light in my ecu flash 1 one time but it doesn't if that helps any
Old 10-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

SmokeCRX has disabled reputation
Default Re: my 89 crx si won't start im stumped

Prob is the igniter. R u gettin fire?
Old 10-20-2008, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

update the red light is flahing on the ecu when i turn the key to the on position so im good there. so i've found out that im not getting spark. i've tested the coil and it's putting out 0.7 ohms which should be good(supposed to be 0.6-0.8ohms). and i've bought a new ignitor and still nothing it just cranks and im not getting any spark still. is there a way that the whole distributor can go bad or only the coil and ignitor. im getting really frustrated with this and tired of spending money, this is killing me. does anyone have any suggestions
Old 10-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

So what do you mean by "flashing"? Does the LED light up, stay on for a bit, and then go off (and stay off)? If it's not doing that, or is blinking, or is staying continuously lit, etc., you've got more work to do.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

no the ecu is working fine like it's suppose to i just didn't see the light at first cuz it was sunny as shit outside. but then later that night i checked it and it blinks 1 time like it's suppose to as soon as i turn the igition to the on position. i've narrowed it down to im not getting spark what else could cause me not to get spark other then the coil and ignitor and my cap and rotor look fine there only like 2 month's old why am i not getting spark
Old 10-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

oxidejunky has disabled reputation

have you tried a coil for the hell of it?
Old 10-21-2008, 05:39 PM
CRX

CivicRenModelX has disabled reputation

The ECU isn't supposed to keep flashing!
Old 10-21-2008, 06:18 PM
team so_lo va

bopper757 has disabled reputation

check your grounds. had the same problem in my hatch. also if u need another ecu i got one chillin in the garage.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Registered Member

no i haven't tried a coil yet because i've been trying to find out is there anything else in the dizzy that would make it not work properly other the coil and the ignitor im really don't want to waste money on a coil if i don't need it when i could just buy a used dizzy from the junkyard. the coil tested out good so im assuming it's good. the ecu doesn't keep flashing it only flashes once like it's supposed to.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Registered Member

shweeneyisme has disabled reputation

do u ride with no timing cover. maybe u broke thed timing belt my buddy did it leaving a stop sign one time and he babys that thing hope it helps

Quick Reply: my 89 crx si won't start im stumped