Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

MR2 Turbo guys. I need your help.

Old 11-30-2002, 08:33 PM
Hot Seduction: Vol 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1badITR can only hope to improve
Default MR2 Turbo guys. I need your help.

I just got a 91 MR2 Turbo. I want to add the usuall, like downpipe, exhaust, and whatever else I need to get it really fast. What would you suggest I do?(what brands and where to get them?). I would be very thankful for any help.
Old 11-30-2002, 09:06 PM
HAM

Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat Heat

moved to tech talk
Old 12-01-2002, 05:59 AM

MisterTwoYou is an unknown quantity at this point

91 MR2 Turbo eh?

Check out back issues of Sport Compact Car for the project MR-2. They did 15 or 16 articles and got over 500 hp (on racing fuel) out of it. great set of articles. And check out MR2.com. Great site.

I got a 93 turbo that I am planning on taking to about 400 HP this winter, so I'll keep you posted on my progress. I still have a lot of decisions to make, but I will bore it out to 2.2 liter, put in a new fuel rail, Supra fuel injectors, and increase the hell out of the boost. This will also require a new ECU unit, metal head gasket, etc...

To get started, forget about a muffler. Just run a pipe out the back. I had the Midas on 17 at Fort Eustis Blvd just cut off the muffler and run a steel pipe to the back. The dual exhaust on the muffler is just for looks, the min back pressure is set by diameter of the exhaust system out of the engine. Any muffler will simply increase the back pressure, reducing performance. (Just leave the catalytic converter alone if you want to stay street legal). And the engine sounds really good without it. I can prove it to you!

Check out the TRD catalog for parts, and see what HKS has to offer. HKS has a lot of bolt on stuff to apply in stages. I have read that HKS mufflers are crap, or at least those for the MR2 were a few years ago.

Now a word of caution from a 10 year MR2 owner and old fart.

91 and 92 MR-2 are quite tail happy. In 93, Toyota redesigned the rear suspension, lowered the car by an inch, and gave it bigger tires. It helped a lot, but I have learned to still respect the hell out of the car with stock 200HP!. Once a mid engined car starts to loose it, it's low polar moment of inertia makes it a handfull to get back under control. So before you become a red splat on a tree somewhere, I would recomend a few things.

1. Get to some autocrosses. See if they have practice days, then you can really concnetratye on just you and your car. Feel out the limits of the car under controlled situations.

2. Get the suspension upgraded with TRD parts (don't forget those steel lined brakes hoses).

3. Once your comfortable with the car, start the serious power upgrades.

Treat the car well, and it will be your best friend.
Old 12-01-2002, 05:50 PM
Banned

3s-gtemr2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Greddy TD06
Old 12-02-2002, 02:57 PM
LTDTEAM.COM

Rockybling can only hope to improve
Default mr2 turbo

ive had two mr2 turbos now and i wish i could change all the upgrades i started to do.

Before going internal, the basics good upgrades are

Greddy td06-20g, comes w/ turbo, manifold, downpipe, etc.
It's an awesome bolt on upgrade. sep getting the stock stuff off is a bitch. lol
Intake, Boost controller, Blow off Valve ( you'll need a new boost gauge too) Plugs, Wires, Fuel Cut Defenser is a must unless you want to get a performance ecu, 550cc tt supra injetors and tt supra fuel pump, intercooler upgrade, (they have trunk mounts, or stock replacements from greddy, spearco, etc., i want to do my own top mount), and some suspension. Thats basically everything minus a couple things that you can do before you go internally. I don't know if you would want to boost your stock turbo anymore than 15psi, if you do, you'll probably blow it depending on the mileage of you car. I wouldn't go over 19psi with an upgraded turbo on stock internals.

What color is you mr2 and what year is it? i have a steel mist grey mr2 turbo. They are fun to drive, just be very careful in the rain. I wrecked my last mr2 turbo on the interstate in the rain doing 55 in the middle lane, just hit some water and started slidin!
Old 12-04-2002, 04:59 PM
www.mr2oc.com

bill strong is an unknown quantity at this point

Check out my website at www.mr2ownersclub.com
we have a few MR2 owners around that have done what you are wanting to do.
Old 12-10-2002, 04:52 PM
i probably hate you

Mr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these partsMr.2 is infamous around these parts

Alright, first of the stock bypass valve is good untill you start making serious power and make big engine management changes. The 3SGTE is an awesome engine. Stock, all the internals are good for about 400 hp except the pistons. The stock fuel system is good for 285-300hp. Stock ignition is very good (the car eats thru ignition parts tho).Cooling is a problem with the midengine layout, so SPAL fans are a wise investment, as is some good water injection. If you want to start making serious hp, standalone engine managment is going to be a must because of timing issues and the need for a MAP instead of a MAF. Good turbo kits (as in quick spool up, low lag...)are the T3/T4, Extreme Boost GT25 kit, Blitz K1, and the CT20B from the 3rd gen 3SGTE are all popular choices. The Greddy intercooler is popular, but personally I like the Air/Water route. As far as suspension goes; alot of people like to go with the 93+ rear suspension. I like the 91-92. The turbo brakes from the 93+ are really good too. Bill's website is awesome too...

Last edited by Mr.2; 01-24-2003 at 04:58 AM.