Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

mk3 supra help

Old 01-13-2011, 08:09 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kouki-s13 has disabled reputation
Default mk3 supra help

this is the first supra ive ever owned and i dont know too much about the 7m-gte. last night i was leaking coolant all over the road and smoke was pouring out of everywhere. shut the car off right away, and found the problem. hopefully i attactched the picture right, the part i circled in blue is what broke, the connection between that and the heater hose to the back of the head snapped. this sounds a bit newbish, but can anyone tell me what the circled part is so i can replace it?...ive been looking through the repair manual and online and cant find what it is

mk3 supra help-coolant-lines-2.jpg
Old 01-13-2011, 08:35 AM
Registered Member

dartonh22 has disabled reputation
Default Re: mk3 supra help

looks like the valve that opens and allows coolant to flow through the heater core so you get heat in your car.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

hottscennessey has a spectacular aura abouthottscennessey has a spectacular aura abouthottscennessey has a spectacular aura about

^ correct

it can be replaced by an L shaped elbow heater hose connector. It keeps your AC cool during the summer by keeping the heat out of the heater core.. but since it's a MKIII I assume you have no AC.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

no i dont have ac, so i can just get the L shaped elbow and ill be fine right?
Old 01-13-2011, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

hottscennessey has a spectacular aura abouthottscennessey has a spectacular aura abouthottscennessey has a spectacular aura about

yep, or if you want to replace it, you can find them at the junkyard. I just replaced mine with an elbow as they are very hard to find in working condition (unless you buy a new one).

Be sure to cap the vac. line going to the top diaphram, otherwise you'll be hitting fuel cut (if it's turbo).
Old 01-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

ok, ill get to that right now, ill take a picture when im done and post it to c if i did it all right. thank you
Old 01-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

Supradude7mgte has disabled reputation

its the heater union valve. i have a couple buddys around the VB area that have a buncha supra in their backyard if ya need an extra one. let me know if you need it, i dont really advise running just an elbow if you want your car to function the way it should. itll work temporarily, my buddy had the same problem.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Supradude7mgte
its the heater union valve. i have a couple buddys around the VB area that have a buncha supra in their backyard if ya need an extra one. let me know if you need it, i dont really advise running just an elbow if you want your car to function the way it should. itll work temporarily, my buddy had the same problem.
yea thank you id appreciate it if you could get me one, another question i had with it is, if i have just the elbow in would the heat in the car not work? and the steam coming off my valve cover after i put the elbow in, would that be caused from coolant that may have gotten onto it from when the connection popped? it doesnt really smell like burning coolant though. before this popped i didnt have any steam coming from it, and the engine isnt overheating
Old 01-14-2011, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

The elbow would not keep the heat from working, and the steam is probably residual, like you said.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

so i got the new heater valve in, steam is gone, but still no heat in the car...bad heater core? had heat before heater control valve snapped.