Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Max WHP from 2" Hot Side Turbo Piping

Old 08-27-2009, 06:42 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iceguyb14 has disabled reputation
Default Max WHP from 2" Hot Side Turbo Piping

whats the max whp youve made/seen from someone running 2" intercooler piping?
Old 08-27-2009, 08:20 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Max WHP from 2" Hot Side Turbo Piping

Intercooler side isn't hot side.. Hot side is the exhaust housing side.

Anyway, you can run some decent power with 2" intercooler piping, at higher power level you might have some minor pressure drop across the length of the piping though depending on flow. Pressure drop adds up, so don't have an inefficient intercooler (long and narrow is the worst) and 2" piping if you're expecting to make lots of power. You can force a lot of air through a 2" pipe, but you may need a tiny bit more boost pressure to do it effectively versus a larger size pipe. Again, any pressure drop is dependent on the how much flow is going through the piping, so the pressure loss will be different at low load/power than it will be at high load/power..

The place to start is to figure out what your target power is, and then size everything accordingly. Intercooler piping is just a support component, and should be sized such that it doesn't interfere with your goals.

I've never personally used 2" piping, but I've seen people with around 350 HP using 2", if that gives you any indication.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 08-27-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:54 AM
Registered Member

protomor is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Intercooler side isn't hot side.. Hot side is the exhaust housing side.

"Hot side" can mean many things. in IC piping terms, hot side means the side between the turbo compressor outlet and the intercooler inlet. The "cold side" becomes the piping post intercooler and I guess pre TB.

To answer the original question. I don't know about whp. I wouldn't run more than 8psi through 2" piping. But thats just me.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

iceguyb14 has disabled reputation

im talking about hot side as in after the turbo and before the IC.

right now i have 2" piping and ive seen a dyno of guys making 396whp with a gt2871r on a 2.0L version of my motor pushing 26psi on 100 octane fuel with a very inefficient intercooler. and thats basically all ive found. most people dont post their piping diameter.

i want ~350-400whp on pump gas and am just thinking if its worth it to just upgrade the piping. im thinking not though.

Last edited by iceguyb14; 08-27-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

I just did 350whp but I'm running a very diff motor. 3" IC piping all around.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

clontz_wi64 has disabled reputation

200's id use 2" but three for over 300
Old 08-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by protomor
To answer the original question. I don't know about whp. I wouldn't run more than 8psi through 2" piping. But thats just me.
That doesn't say anything, pressure doesn't have much to do flow or power output. 8 psi worth of flow on a D-series is a lot different than 8 psi worth of flow on a 3 liter V6 or something like that.
It's like someone asking how big of an amp they can run with a 4 gauge power cable, and you telling them you wouldn't run more than 14 volts though it.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:33 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
That doesn't say anything, pressure doesn't have much to do flow or power output.8 psi worth of flow on a D-series is a lot different than 8 psi worth of flow on a 3 liter V6 or something like that.
It's like someone asking how big of an amp they can run with a 4 gauge power cable, and you telling them you wouldn't run more than 14 volts though it.
So... I should get a CFM gauge instead of a psi gauge

Pressure has TONS to do with power output. If you have a huge turbo pushing massive CFM through a tiny pipe, it creates more pressure. Same CFM through different pipes gives you different psi right?

So, theoretically 8psi on 3 inch pipe will flow more than 8psi on a 2 inch pipe.

I'm just saying, if he's going for bigger power (more than 8psi as most ppl use their boost gauges for), 2 inch piping might become an obstruction. Granted, I made a VERY glaring generality about psi instead of making a dissertation about total CFM from air filter to exhaust tip.

EG if you were aiming for 8psi, youd get a small turbo to spool faster. If you wanted 25psi, youd probably get something bigger with much more CFM (needing bigger IC piping).

In short, if you want to think CFM, only thinking of piping or a turbo is moot. If you wanted THAT much detail, we'd want figure on literage, head flow, # of cylinders, Turbo sizing, theoretical heat/pressure drop through your IC, exhaust tube sizing, etc.

Just make sure your ackerman angles are correct

Edit: You want to calculate overall VE. Thats the term I was thinking of.

Last edited by protomor; 08-28-2009 at 04:36 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:04 AM
Registered member

wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright

I am making 411HP and 253TQ to the wheels on pump gas at 15 lbs. I know that the IC piping is less than 3 inch in diameter. If I had to guess it is 2.5.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:09 AM
Registered Member

Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86

Here is an easier way to look at this:

Airflow is the ultimate factor to determine how much power your going to make. Flow, is composed of pressure, velocity, and area (plus pumping work, and losses but those can be neglected right now for simplicity). As you can see there are 3 variables. You can't determine the answer with just one variable, nor does the flow value stay the same if any of the variables are changed. You can take a scratch peice of paper and throw in some arbitrary number to play around if you like. If i recall, 1 CFM is close to 1 HP on most engines?

Quick Reply: Max WHP from 2" Hot Side Turbo Piping