Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

main bearings

Old 06-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
skunkdodo has disabled reputation
Default main bearings

i know when your replacing the rods/main bearings with oem its color coded, But if i change over to ACL race bearing how does that work? I only see that it comes in a set. Is that the way they sell it and the machine shop shave it to the oil clearance? Thanks in advance i just dont want to order it and the shop tells me that i can only use a few out of the set and have to buy different set in different size.BTW its a DOHC honda motor
Old 06-05-2009, 07:00 PM
Danny@respecgarage

RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE
Default Re: main bearings

The best thing to do is to take your parts to the machine shop and let them figure out what size bearing you need. The can machine your parts to fit perfect with your new acl bearings. I took my crank and rods down to abacus racing in va beach and they machined my parts to fit with the acl race bearings.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RE-SPECGARAGE
The best thing to do is to take your parts to the machine shop and let them figure out what size bearing you need. The can machine your parts to fit perfect with your new acl bearings. I took my crank and rods down to abacus racing in va beach and they machined my parts to fit with the acl race bearings.
can you give me an idea of the price range to do that
Old 06-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Digital Life

83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0

If there isnt any damage to the rod or crank, then standard size bearings wont require any machine work. If there is damage then you can replace the damaged rods/crank and stay standard sized, or you will need to have the parts machined to match the oversized bearings.

ACL is a good brand but I dont know what intervals they offer them in. If you need machine work, the shop could tell you exactly what youd need depending on the condition.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

yea but each bearing isnt the same size straight out the factory and getting the machine shop to make the journal fit sounds right. Cause Acl do sell standard size which is all the same size in a set. So finding the largest oil clearance and make the rest the same seems right unless someone here just threw in standard size and made it last without burning the crank up cause by bearings too tight. lmk
Old 06-06-2009, 02:41 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

Originally Posted by skunkdodo
yea but each bearing isnt the same size straight out the factory and getting the machine shop to make the journal fit sounds right. Cause Acl do sell standard size which is all the same size in a set. So finding the largest oil clearance and make the rest the same seems right unless someone here just threw in standard size and made it last without burning the crank up cause by bearings too tight. lmk

tons of people have installed standard sized bearings and have had no problems, granted it is better to be able to have them fitted, or use the stock codes to make them the correct clearances and such. But many times has this been done, i believe the standard acl bearings are sized to the "green" honda bearing size, since the green bearing is one of the most used in honda engines. so since its sized to that bearing clearance it will probably be inbeetween one way or the other what you need, i guess the tolerances are enough to make it work properly. but doing it the machine shop way, or buying honda bearings is definitely the optimal thing to do. but its been done alot of times to throw in standard size bearings on the crank and rods and have no problems. my civic motor ran perfectly fine for a long time with standard acl bearing installed.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

alright i gone a order the standard size and install to see if it rotate easy without no drag.But i see there are black and brown oem bearings too(main bearings)
Old 06-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

How about using the proper methods to see what the clearance is, instead of just installing them and seeing if they rotate with no drag? I think if you were to ask a decent engine builder what their personal preference for bearing tolerance is, they don't say "I just install them and see if they rotate with no drag".

Get some plastigage and check everything out. It's so easy a cavema...nevermind.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
How about using the proper methods to see what the clearance is, instead of just installing them and seeing if they rotate with no drag? I think if you were to ask a decent engine builder what their personal preference for bearing tolerance is, they don't say "I just install them and see if they rotate with no drag".

Get some plastigage and check everything out. It's so easy a cavema...nevermind.
Yea aleast someone here makes some since here. Yea i noe for a fact aleast 1 or more journal has different clearance. If i use fitted bearing i be straight but am tryin to use Acl cause everybody says its good but they come in a complete set. Ppl told me the machine shop will make the clearance to fit the bearings.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

It depends if the clearance is too little or too much. You obviously can't add material to the journals on the block or the crank.

Quick Reply: main bearings