Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

lsvtec

Old 10-17-2005, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
b16a has disabled reputation
Default lsvtec

decideing whether or not to go lsvtec and turbo later or just ls turbo if lsvtec how hard is the wiring and what would be best combination ie. b16 ead b18 head any information will be greatly appreciated
Old 10-17-2005, 08:09 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: lsvtec

The only difference in wiring is a few wires: vtec, vtec pressure switch, and IAB if you get a GSR head and ECU..
Old 10-17-2005, 08:31 PM
Bearded.

DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO

if you have a complete b18b1/a1 now that runs perfect, you will spend about 2k-2.5k$ for the correct setup

-new pistons
-rings, bearings, seals
-new rods, rod bolts, head bolts,
-water/oil pump
-timing belt
-resleeve the block
-blueprint the block
-tap the block for the oil jets
-basically BUILD your whole motor and replace the LS head with a vtec head..

i would reccomend a b16 head with itr cams and internals

i mean if done correctly it will last just as long as a normal motor, but if done the cheap way you will blow the ls/vtec in about 1 month/1000 miles which ever comes first.

good luck
Old 10-17-2005, 08:48 PM

is a lsvtec turbo strong or if im planning to go turbo should i just stick with a regular ls i prob wont turbo for a while so would teh lsvtec be worth the time money and effort
Old 10-17-2005, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by dorko-t
if you have a complete b18b1/a1 now that runs perfect, you will spend about 2k-2.5k$ for the correct setup

-new pistons
-rings, bearings, seals
-new rods, rod bolts, head bolts,
-water/oil pump
-timing belt
-resleeve the block
-blueprint the block
-tap the block for the oil jets
-basically BUILD your whole motor and replace the LS head with a vtec head..

i would reccomend a b16 head with itr cams and internals

i mean if done correctly it will last just as long as a normal motor, but if done the cheap way you will blow the ls/vtec in about 1 month/1000 miles which ever comes first.

good luck

if i dont have the money to complete rebuild teh motor would just using close to stock parts maybe built a little last or is it going to blow
Old 10-17-2005, 09:00 PM
-HUFF-

non-vtecpower has disabled reputation

It sounds as if you dont know much about honda's... What ever you do, Make sure you get someone that knows what there doing put it together.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:19 PM
Bearded.

DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO

if you arent going to completely rebuild the motor, then yes it will blow and yes it IS NOT worth the time and effort...

and you must knwo what you are doing befor eyou can run LS vtec, you cant just slap a gsr head on a ls block, it dosent work like that..

but i would say just save the stock LS for right now, buy a turbo kit later and boost the fuck out that motor and when you blow that motor up, then its time for a brand new rebuild and then go LS vtec..

or not..its up to you

but unless done correctly it wil blow within a month or so..
Old 10-18-2005, 04:50 AM
Registered Member

Str8EJ has disabled reputation

let me offer my 2 cents.
there's a compromise between building a race-ready ls/vtec and a half-assed hack-job.
while it probably is a good idea to rehone the ls block for new pistons w/ larger valve reliefs and, perhaps, more compression, you don't need to resleeve it unless you're planning to run excessive boost (10-14 psi + for b-series).
you don't need new rods, but better rod & head bolts would be a good idea - that would be true even if you decide to run n/a.
water pump, oil pump, timing belt, head gasket, tensioner are all replaceables, and you would replace them (may be not the oil pump) even if you were rebuilding your stock ls. oil jets are probably a good idea and not that difficult for a machine shop to accommodate. there is also the issue of running an external oil line.
if you do more research and talk to shops that are in the business of doing this sort of work, you can de-mystify a lot of internet jibber-jabber. you need to do this so you are aware of what you're proposing to achieve and not relying on others to give you information. you can also begin to understand the actual costs involved.
there is absolutely nothing wrong with the advice offerred above, but bear in mind - they are informed opinions.
in the end, you may just choose to build up an ls or dohc vtec motor.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:23 AM

i wasnt planning to just put a stock head on my stock ls i just dont have the money to get my block sleeved and all that i was thinking some forged rods maybe itr cams and retainiers and stuff liek that would that be ok or shoudl i just save so i can completely build the motor? i really dont know to much about hondas im pretty new to them i aldo heard ls vtec have problems with oil leaking what can be done to avoid this?
Old 10-18-2005, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex spooledex

Let me say this before you go blow your wad on what someone else says. If you have a good LS motor now you should be able to slap a vtec head on it. Some people boost a stock ls up to 15-16 psi. If you get a good b16a head for like 500 and put that on it for about another 300 Ecu included. I put on a back yard turbo setup on my LS vtec and at 8 psi put down 310 to the wheels. It never smoked and was very dependable just with a FMU. It can be done without spending a crap load of money. I have like 4 different LS vtec setups in my car and all made good power. Let me know if you need help.

Quick Reply: lsvtec