VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   LSD worth it? (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/lsd-worth-140086/)

ONECAM 05-18-2006 03:28 PM

LSD worth it?

I'm planning on rebuilding a transmission for my civic as my next project. I have read up about the different LSD's, but how much does it really help? Let's base this on 1/4 mile time. this is on a civic with roughly 200whp and a little less tq.

VanillaThrilla 05-18-2006 03:32 PM

Re: LSD worth it?

I can't speak in regards to Honda's because I don't know what you're going to gain with a Honda, but I built my transmission and installed LSD at the same time and it was a night and day difference... and handles better too!

Ross 05-18-2006 03:44 PM

I would definitly recomend the diff. I can not give you an exact on quarter times that you will get but it does help.

chuckyarus 05-18-2006 05:16 PM

If you get some good dot slicks I never had much of a problem hooking up in the bite after a good burn out. On the street it would help. I put a phantom limited slip in a ls crx I had back in the day, It didn't hook up good, guess you buy cheap you get cheap.

crvtt717 05-18-2006 05:24 PM

I had a phantom grip lsd in my rex. It didnt hook up well either. I heard quaife LSD's are great. There are other great brands too though.

The phantom grip didnt hook up well, but it,imo, still was better than no lsd. I had better handling with it.

bigbodycrx 05-18-2006 05:32 PM

friend of mine got a type r lsd put in his hatch makin over 200 hp and he loves it, said it made the world of different, jsut dont buy cheap

ONECAM 05-18-2006 06:01 PM

I have heard about the obx lsd's. i know there have been a few horror story's with them, but i also saw pics of how they are almost exactly like the quaifes. u just have to take them apart and check everything when u get them b4 u instal, thats what i was considering getting.

Jarrod 05-18-2006 06:55 PM

I've talk'd to several different people with 500+whp Hondas, most haven't have problems with OBX lsd's.

I'm not speaking from experience, because honestly, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm about to boost, and I really want something I can hook with.

My friend has a Kaaz in his Type-R tranny, and loves it to death. I'd have to say it's a good lsd aswell, but I haven't driven the car hard, only stop light to stoplight.

1rude2l 05-19-2006 09:13 AM

highly recommended i got a type r tranny which comes with one from the factory, mostly what a lsd does is it keeps you from spinning just one wheel with one it will always be both

ONECAM 05-19-2006 09:19 AM

yea i understand the theory behind it. Thats why i first considered getting one. Duh, two tires spinning > one tire spinning. I'm was looking for some real world proof about how much of a difference it would really make.

I'm sure I will end up getting one.