Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

LS1 questions

Old 01-29-2004, 12:11 PM
GLHF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo
Question LS1 questions

alright, went to Virginia Speed today. shop lookes very nice, and the guy i was talking to, Robby, was cool, real nice, and seemed very knowledgeable (sp?). But anyways, we were talking about all the shit in there, headers, manifolds, exhaust, blah blah... i want ya'lls opinion on some of the stuff before i buy. Hooker long tubes, 419 and 619 coated. ummm, the hooker cat back, don't remember price, i think it was like 299. but is hooker catback good? comparable to the loud mouth? also lunati cams, any good? opinions on all that stuff would be great, cuz thats what i'm looking to buy now, and a lid, he said they have granitelli (sp) lids for around 129 i believe. are they any good? thanks for any and all feed back, much appreciated.

also, i told him i was looknig to get the loudmouth exhaust, he said it is kind of annoyingly loud, and said i should hear someones before i put it on. so, anyone wanna let me get an earfull?
Old 01-29-2004, 01:28 PM
~

nickyroo has disabled reputation
Default Re: LS1 questions

im not an LS1 expert but ive done my fair shair of reading on them and have read a lot of reviews from LS1 owners. that said...

Loud Mouth: the loud mouth is a very loud exhaust. it is not loud enough to annoy me, but if you pair it up with a set of hooker LTs and an off-road y-pipe, it's gonna be loud. like... really loud. if i was you id go with a quieter setup (hooker) and run a quicktime electric cutout. keep the cutout shut except when you need it, and when youre at the track or playin on the streets, push a button and open it.

Hooker LTs: hookers are nice. definitely get coated. i bought uncoated headers and now i get the joy of sandblasting them and paying to have them coated. id say one of the only better header setup would be the FLPs, but they are pricey as hell and ive heard a few people have had some fitment nightmares. but all headers are a bitch to get in these cars... believe me.

Lunati Cams: I don't personally know anyone using a Lunati brand camshaft. There are a bunch of people using Crane Cams brand and have had no problems with the durability of the cam itself. As long as you install new lifters and properly lube a cam i dont see why it would mechanically fail. But anyways, a cam is where shit can get kind of tricky. you need to find a grind that is right for what you want from the car and what modifications you have, what gear you have, what stall you have, what kind of idle youre looking for, if gas mileage is a question, if youre going to be using oversized valves, getting headwork etc. most of the time you dont just install a camshaft. when i did mine, i did a double roller timing set, all new gaskets (obviously), an electric water pump, maybe you want to go with an ATI super damper i dunno. but if youre going to mod your car (especially if its your only car) make sure you only have to do it once. you dont want to take apart half your engine to install your camshaft, then do it again to switch to a different style timing set. Be efficient with it and save yourself a lot of time.

start off with a lid, maybe get an LS6 intake manifold, a stall if you have an auto, etc. i know one of the biggest bangs for your bucks is going to be a rear end gear. stepping up to a 4.11 makes a giant difference. but take things slow. dont go jam some .600/.600 lift in a car with stock manifolds, stock throttle body, stock intake etc. it just doesnt make sense. you do a mod, then a mod that is complimented by your previous mod, etc. etc.

www.ls1tech.com is a good website. as is http://web.camaross.com/forums

have fun with your car
Old 01-29-2004, 04:07 PM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

PM raven02 he has a loudmouth on his LS1 you can hear.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:40 PM
Redneck Porsche

99BlkTransAm is an unknown quantity at this point

heres some exhausts to listen to

id go with corsa. i gotta SLP lid i wish i had gone with MTI tho
Old 01-30-2004, 03:21 AM
VA

travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd

I have Loudmouth if you want to hear it. I live in Chesapeake, let me know, I'll be around this weekend.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:50 AM
Redneck Porsche

99BlkTransAm is an unknown quantity at this point

join Easternfbody's board more tech help.... and people of our kind http://www.ls1sounds.com/
Old 01-31-2004, 09:15 AM
the baddest assed

MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE

ive talked to a guy from va speed before.. where are they located again?

what are you looking for performance wise?
Old 01-31-2004, 09:24 AM
GLHF

WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo

i can't remember exactly where, off of international.

i'm looking for anything, just bought my car and its bone stock except for shocks and filter
looking for exhaust, headers, lid, MAF sensor, just some basic bolt ons and what not right now.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:07 AM
GLHF

hmmm ok, i found a guy selling his loudmouth for like 175, but he said hes selling it becuase it is way too loud for him cuz he just got headers and y pipe for it... so what do ya'll think, cuz im definatley going to get the same setup.... and i was talking to some guys on easter f body and they said go with like a magnaflow and just buy a cutout for it. what is another good exhaust besides the loudmouth that i could look for? is the hooker catback crappy or what? hmmm.... decisions decisions.. well thanks for all the help guys
Old 02-01-2004, 11:12 AM
the baddest assed

MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE MIGHTYMOUSE

hooker good, loudmouth is good, borla is good, random tech. is good, magnaflow is good.. just pick the one you like the sound of best... they will all pick you up about the same power 8 honest hp or so.

you could just leave the stock muffler and run a cut out for about 40bux and flow as well as any of the above.
hooker headers work as good as any, and are cheaper... slp's are the hardest to install.
i dont like the clamps on the flp's and the dynatechs are my personal favorite.
most any lid is the same, pic the color/brand you want.. i prefer the new texas speed lids.

dont touch the maf sensor.