Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

LS rods and pistons in a GSR?

Old 03-22-2009, 09:22 AM
GOON SQUAD.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ayobish Ayobish Ayobish Ayobish Ayobish Ayobish Ayobish Ayobish Ayobish Ayobish Ayobish
Default LS rods and pistons in a GSR?

well, on the way home from dyno inc after just getting tuned my motor blew. stock gsr with 80k miles on it. she put down 218 at 6psi.
but my ? is i have a friend who will basically give me his ls pistons and rods. is this better for boost? tim tuned my ecu up to 10 psi but i dont think that is safe to run in a stock gsr. so lmk what you think i should do everyone thanks
Old 03-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Eh

NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay
Default Re: LS rods and pistons in a GSR?

Originally Posted by MTDEWME
well, on the way home from dyno inc after just getting tuned my motor blew. stock gsr with 80k miles on it. she put down 218 at 6psi.
but my ? is i have a friend who will basically give me his ls pistons and rods. is this better for boost? tim tuned my ecu up to 10 psi but i dont think that is safe to run in a stock gsr. so lmk what you think i should do everyone thanks
how the hell did you blow it up on 6 psi? And what blew? Cracked sleeve maybe?

You cant use ls rods with a gsr crank. You have to match the rods and the crank. And no stock ls rods and pistons are not any better then stock gsr rods and pistons for boost.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:06 PM
FUCK YOUR KNOCK OFFS

TonyTouch. will become famous soon enough

my buddy put a ls crank, rods, and pistons in a gsr block. the ls has a little bit longer stroke. pm sleeper99ex. hes the one that built it
Old 05-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Dogs

BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR

Originally Posted by MTDEWME
doesnt speak very well for dyno inc unless the motor was already going south, my b16 lasted 2 months after they tuned it but mine smoked before it was boosted so i dont put the blame on dyno for mine
Old 05-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Not-So-Fatty McFat

BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC

my only question is how reliable are they for high reving...i considered putting an LS crank and rods in my B16 but was unsure how they would handle being above 8k rpm
Old 05-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by H22A-DA
doesnt speak very well for dyno inc unless the motor was already going south, my b16 lasted 2 months after they tuned it but mine smoked before it was boosted so i dont put the blame on dyno for mine
I don't know anything about the shop who did the tuning but I really hesitate to blame a tuning shop when a customer blew up the engine.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Dogs

BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
I don't know anything about the shop who did the tuning but I really hesitate to blame a tuning shop when a customer blew up the engine.
I agree.........the only reason I said that is because he said blew it up on the way home from getting it tuned. Dyno Inc. put a nasty fast tune on my B16.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

1beatupteggy has disabled reputation

thats f'n messed up....6lbs, wtf.....a friend of mine names steven from mount jackson has a 2000 si....COMPLETELY stock...running 8lbs boost..and it doesnt even have but a half of exhaust...str8 piping.lol...its is DD!!!!!!your sh!t was either messed up before the tune or they screwed up your car..or both..but there had to be something up with your motor.....

but on the gsr/ls mixing....i had a 95 gsr block with 95 ls crank and pistons rods, etc, and that shit would run like a scalded dog...hell its free....it cant hurt......LS RODS ARE THA SH!T...you would be surprised when you run it....

my 95 ls boosted at 6 psi...was my daily for 3 years all stock block/internals....
Old 05-09-2009, 08:27 AM
Slappin Curtis

bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004

Originally Posted by CustomX
how the hell did you blow it up on 6 psi? And what blew? Cracked sleeve maybe?

You cant use ls rods with a gsr crank. You have to match the rods and the crank. And no stock ls rods and pistons are not any better then stock gsr rods and pistons for boost.
Agree'd, I don't think the tune had anything to do with the motor blowing. Just seems like bad timing as to when it blew up. You never did say what blew exactly? Headgasket, spun rod/crank bearing, or did it throw a rod? As stated above, you'll have to use the same crank/rod setup.Personally i would just rebuild the GSR.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:30 AM
Dickbutt #peentip

Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin

That's the way I'm building my motor. GSR Block with LS Crank and aftermarket LS rods/pistons etc. You'll need to bend the GSR oil squirters to clear the LS rotating assembly.

Stock LS pistons have oil 'holes' in them, and thats why the LS block does not have squirters.

Quick Reply: LS rods and pistons in a GSR?