Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Ls build up questions....

Old 07-11-2006, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lowt3gg has disabled reputation
Default Ls build up questions....

im getting ready to build my b18a1 motor and had a few questions. im wanting to put either b16 or type R pistons in it. and what will it do if i swap to a GSR crankshaft?
will this even work??? and is it worth the time and money??
If anyone has any info on this or helpful tips or advice, i would apreciate it.

any other mods you recamend????
Old 07-11-2006, 03:46 PM
Bowtie Bound?? ;)

Nigerian Hair is a jewel in the roughNigerian Hair is a jewel in the roughNigerian Hair is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Ls build up questions....

Originally Posted by lowt3gg
im getting ready to build my b18a1 motor and had a few questions. im wanting to put either b16 or type R pistons in it. and what will it do if i swap to a GSR crankshaft?
will this even work??? and is it worth the time and money??
If anyone has any info on this or helpful tips or advice, i would apreciate it.

any other mods you recamend????

Are you swapping out for a Vtec head??
P30 pistons will be fine for the build unless you can afford better..
a Vtec head with dome pistons will raise the compression giving you a slight bit more power and torque.
Do not take the LS crank out of your block..leave it..get it knife edge,and everything balanced.

if you have extra money..build the head...CTR,ITR, or aftermarket cams..if you are building an all motor LS..then get some aftermarket cams..but make sure you build the valvetrain as well..springs,retainers,valves...and get it ported..with a valve job.

this is all my opinion..im sure some people would do it differently.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:48 PM
Speak&Spell Anyone?

Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell Cpt. Non-Spell

b16 piston and ls rid on ls crank
Old 07-11-2006, 05:38 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

you know what an ls build equals....dissapointment, unless you are dumping an assload of money into it or unless you boost it. my opinion from past experiences.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:22 PM
Bowtie Bound?? ;)

Nigerian Hair is a jewel in the roughNigerian Hair is a jewel in the roughNigerian Hair is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MORE IMPATIENT
you know what an ls build equals....dissapointment, unless you are dumping an assload of money into it or unless you boost it. my opinion from past experiences.

yep. All motor LS's are not that great fully built. If i were you..i would boost it. Spend the extra money on Tuning (hondata,etc)..and maybe a thicker head gasket. I would either rebuild the bottom end..or inspect it to make sure it can handle some boost.

A LS-T setup on 10-12 psi w/ a T3/T4 is good for 220-240whp.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

lowt3gg has disabled reputation

thanks for the opinions... im not sure what i want to do yet. ive had ls vtec and ls turbo and was very happy with both. i was gonna see how much hp i could make with fully built ls. i do have a t3 turbo and thought about putting on but not sure.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:29 PM
turbo on 2 wheels

Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern

well if you need some parts to fully build your ls i have alot in my garage!
Old 07-13-2006, 02:23 PM
Bowtie Bound?? ;)

Originally Posted by lowt3gg
thanks for the opinions... im not sure what i want to do yet. ive had ls vtec and ls turbo and was very happy with both. i was gonna see how much hp i could make with fully built ls. i do have a t3 turbo and thought about putting on but not sure.

it all depends on your goals...an all motor ls would be pretty peppy daily driven..but as far as competition wise..you wouldnt be able to do too much with it against other cars. A t3 on an LS turbo setup would be pretty damn torquey down low,and you would excellent midrange power.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:33 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

i built a high compression ls, made 142 whp,was dissapointed. put a vtec head on it. made 178whp. i had a damn stock ls turbo making 261whp on pump gas for 2 years. the ls was fun, torquey and peppy, after 5k it was crap, the ls vtec was fun especially up top, the turbo ls was fun everywhere.im thinking of selling the gsr swap i have and doing another.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:47 PM
turbo on 2 wheels

Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern Vern

Originally Posted by MORE IMPATIENT
i built a high compression ls, made 142 whp,was dissapointed. put a vtec head on it. made 178whp. i had a damn stock ls turbo making 261whp on pump gas for 2 years. the ls was fun, torquey and peppy, after 5k it was crap, the ls vtec was fun especially up top, the turbo ls was fun everywhere.im thinking of selling the gsr swap i have and doing another.
ill trade some of my ls stuff for your gsr swap!!!!

Quick Reply: Ls build up questions....