Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Like a zip tie but easy to remove?

Old 10-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kadafiz has disabled reputation
Default Re: Like a zip tie but easy to remove?

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
When you do a few thousand zip ties a year, using something like a razor is reckless and asking for trouble. Harnesses that cost thousands of dollars aren't worth risking because you're too stubborn to use the proper tools, and I'm not sure how you could possibly argue that. I just like to use the proper tools for the job, not whatever is kicking around the toolbox that might possibly work if you're really careful and don't need to do it very often.

Let me put it this way: If you did this stuff for a living, like I've done, and someone saw you using a razor to cut a zip tie on a harness, you'd probably be fired. Doing something that stupid means that you're willing to waste lots of man hours repairing or replacing the harness that you could have damaged because you don't know/care enough to use proper tools.

Your car is your business, so I really don't care, but I'm not sure why you're actually arguing that a razor is a good idea.
Hmm i didn't know this guy was some pro mechanic just thought he needed to snip a couple ties which isn't to hard to do with a razor..

and as far as doing thousands yeh i would def not use a razor.. but yeh man u need to kinda calm down you made it a huge deal for yourself
Old 10-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

Originally Posted by kadafiz
Hmm i didn't know this guy was some pro mechanic just thought he needed to snip a couple ties which isn't to hard to do with a razor..

and as far as doing thousands yeh i would def not use a razor.. but yeh man u need to kinda calm down you made it a huge deal for yourself
udum
Old 10-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

92gsrteg has disabled reputation

if you work on cars as much as most of us do, then ownin some snips is not a bad ideal. even if you dont cut alot of ties. op says he wants something that removes easily so he must do it kinda often. therefore snips would be the way to go. if its that big a deal buy a small ass pair, i have a pair thats like 4 inches in length and keep em in your glove box. problem solved. easy removal and no scratched valvecover
Old 10-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

staticv0id is a jewel in the roughstaticv0id is a jewel in the roughstaticv0id is a jewel in the roughstaticv0id is a jewel in the roughstaticv0id is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
When you do a few thousand zip ties a year, using something like a razor is reckless and asking for trouble. Harnesses that cost thousands of dollars aren't worth risking because you're too stubborn to use the proper tools, and I'm not sure how you could possibly argue that. I just like to use the proper tools for the job, not whatever is kicking around the toolbox that might possibly work if you're really careful and don't need to do it very often.

Let me put it this way: If you did this stuff for a living, like I've done, and someone saw you using a razor to cut a zip tie on a harness, you'd probably be fired. Doing something that stupid means that you're willing to waste lots of man hours repairing or replacing the harness that you could have damaged because you don't know/care enough to use proper tools.

Your car is your business, so I really don't care, but I'm not sure why you're actually arguing that a razor is a good idea.

Originally Posted by kadafiz

In every tech post I've read, Fabrik always provides useful information and insight. The man knows his shit, it'd be wise to listen up.