Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

keeping underhood temps in check for track duty

Old 02-14-2011, 05:59 PM
Not-So-Fatty McFat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC
Default keeping underhood temps in check for track duty

this is what i'm working with:

Pic A

Pic B

i've already wrapped my downpipe with DEI titanium wrap

i'm thinking about gold wrapping my intake and intercooler piping that is running behind my radiator (Pic B). may consider gold wrapping all my intercooler piping in my engine bay. i've been looking at turbo blankets and settled on a company that i'm going to buy from. i was told to wrap my manifold, but i've read on a couple web sites that that wasn't a good idea. just looking for opinions and/or advise on this subject.

Last edited by BLU CIVIC; 02-14-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: keeping underhood temps in check for track duty

Wrapping a manifold is fine. The only problems with wrapping a manifold are covering everything up so it's hard to keep an eye on crack formation, and the potential to trap moisture against the manifold. Moisture isn't a problem from what I've seen, and it certainly isn't a problem with a stainless manifold. You can also get the manifold ceramic coated, which works pretty well but makes it hard to do crack repair because the coating will have to be removed. A turbo blanket is a good idea though no matter what, they're cheap and easy to install and don't really have any downsides because they're easy to remove.

If this is for track use you should consider relocating the battery to the trunk for weight reasons, then you can use that extra space to house the air filter and make a partition to shield the filter and route air from a cool source.

What specific problem are you trying to solve by reducing underhood temps?
Old 02-14-2011, 06:22 PM
Registered member

Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2

Venting the Hood will help with underhood temps and cooling at the same time. I am speaking of placing a vent essentially above your turbo right behind the radiator. Look up some examples of what I am describing here: http://www.specialprojectsms.com/ind...?categoryID=30
Old 02-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Not-So-Fatty McFat

BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
What specific problem are you trying to solve by reducing underhood temps?
just trying to have everything running as efficient as possible while trying to keep my IAT's and ECT's in check. with the radiator in, everything in is close proximity of each other
Old 02-14-2011, 07:16 PM
Stiff Member

Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock

Well, installing a radiator, filling it with coolant and connecting the radiator hoses will be a BIG improvement! el-oh-el?

I must quote

nvm, i typed too fast and saw your third pic

Originally Posted by BLU CIVIC
this is what i'm working with:

Pic A

Pic B

i've already wrapped my downpipe with DEI titanium wrap
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...1/95e788ae.jpg

i'm thinking about gold wrapping my intake and intercooler piping that is running behind my radiator (Pic B). may consider gold wrapping all my intercooler piping in my engine bay. i've been looking at turbo blankets and settled on a company that i'm going to buy from. i was told to wrap my manifold, but i've read on a couple web sites that that wasn't a good idea. just looking for opinions and/or advise on this subject.

Last edited by Laserjock; 02-14-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:28 PM
Registered member

WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E

Get a better radiator, and nice fan set up.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Not-So-Fatty McFat

Originally Posted by WALL-E
Get a better radiator, and nice fan set up.
i had an Integra dual core radiator, but there wasn't a lot of room left to work with, so i went back to stock

Have 2 12" pusher fans on the front of the radiator
Old 02-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Registered member

Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2

Originally Posted by Jenkinsal2
Venting the Hood will help with underhood temps and cooling at the same time. I am speaking of placing a vent essentially above your turbo right behind the radiator. Look up some examples of what I am describing here: http://www.specialprojectsms.com/ind...?categoryID=30
I guess you didn't see the easy option that didnt require you to have to switch parts or jam more shit in your engine bay.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Registered member

WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E

Originally Posted by BLU CIVIC
i had an Integra dual core radiator, but there wasn't a lot of room left to work with, so i went back to stock

Have 2 12" pusher fans on the front of the radiator
I was more so thinking along the lines of a fluidyne radiator with fal fan set up. Wouldn't push a stock Honda one on a track, let alone on a boosted car. The aftermarket stuff will really help keep temps down. I'm talking from actual experience on numerous b series turbo set-ups on my street cars, so I know if it helps on the street where a stock one wouldn't quite keep temps down to where I liked them after a few good pulls, the aftermarket stuff consistently keeps temps noticiably lower than stock.

And I'd think you would want a fan on the back side of the radiator also, even if it be a small one. If I'm thinking right, it'll blow air away from radiator, hence keeping temps down more than leaving backside of radiator exposed to turbo parts/manifold.

Last edited by WALL-E; 02-15-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:37 PM
Jay
VR-4ever

Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay

Fabricate a heat shield for the manifold/turbo
Seal off any spaces where frontal air could get around and not through your radiator. The heat exchanger needs a pressure differential to move air across the core.
Install fender liners. Wheel wells are high pressure areas and hurt your the bottom line of your radiator frontal air pressure differential.
Do not raise the back of your hood up for "cowl induction" unless the induction across the entire length is sealed to the engine air intake. The area near the back of the hood/bottom of the windshield is a high pressure area.
Straighten your radiator fins with a pick.
Save money.

Last edited by Jay; 02-15-2011 at 07:51 PM.

Quick Reply: keeping underhood temps in check for track duty