Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

jerking when going highway speeds

Old 08-18-2008, 09:22 PM
c'mon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dmac is a splendid one to beholdDmac is a splendid one to beholdDmac is a splendid one to beholdDmac is a splendid one to beholdDmac is a splendid one to beholdDmac is a splendid one to beholdDmac is a splendid one to behold
Default jerking when going highway speeds

Basically when going highway speeds the car starts to jerk/hesitate when holding the speed limit. It seems like the bumps are causing the car to jerk also if im building boost the car will blow off when I hit a bump like I let off the gas even though I don't. This only occurs at highway speeds and in the city the car drives like a dream. Car is an 01 VW GTI.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:34 PM
Double Agent HT

ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL
Default Re: jerking when going highway speeds

stock? If not check your pipe connections to start.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

At what throttle position does this happen? You may have some sort of part throttle mapping problem, and may need some more tuning. Torque loads are different depending on gear ratio, so it may not show up in lower gears at lower speeds.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:44 PM
c'mon

Dmac is a splendid one to beholdDmac is a splendid one to beholdDmac is a splendid one to beholdDmac is a splendid one to beholdDmac is a splendid one to beholdDmac is a splendid one to beholdDmac is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
At what throttle position does this happen? You may have some sort of part throttle mapping problem, and may need some more tuning. Torque loads are different depending on gear ratio, so it may not show up in lower gears at lower speeds.
just lightly holding throttle like 2800 rpms@60mph. I'm gonna clean my maf tomorrow and see if that helps the problem at all.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:45 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Try to replicate that throttle position in a different gear around town and see if you can spot any common behavior.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:48 PM
c'mon

Try to replicate that throttle position in a different gear around town and see if you can spot any common behavior.
will do but it seems like this problem only happens on bumpy roads because when i'm driving around the car always seems to run like shit on the extremely bumpy roads
Old 08-19-2008, 09:07 AM
Racetracks

May be a loose coupler in the intake system, or some other type of intake leak. If you have an engine with a MAF, any leak that is between the MAF and the engine can cause glitches. Once you measure the airmass with the MAF, any air that is lost or gained can make glitches because the engine isn't getting what the ECU has already predicted.

There are other possibilities too, it's going to be something mechanical though probably because of the bumpy road stuff. Check that you don't have any cracked spark plugs, and that your plug wires are making proper (tight) contact and don't lose continuity when wiggled, etc.. This is going to be a fun thing to track down, make no mistake...
Old 08-19-2008, 09:24 AM
c'mon

May be a loose coupler in the intake system, or some other type of intake leak. If you have an engine with a MAF, any leak that is between the MAF and the engine can cause glitches. Once you measure the airmass with the MAF, any air that is lost or gained can make glitches because the engine isn't getting what the ECU has already predicted.

There are other possibilities too, it's going to be something mechanical though probably because of the bumpy road stuff. Check that you don't have any cracked spark plugs, and that your plug wires are making proper (tight) contact and don't lose continuity when wiggled, etc.. This is going to be a fun thing to track down, make no mistake...
I just replaced the spark plugs and coil packs last week but I am going to check if they are tightened down all the way and see if that helps
Old 08-19-2008, 09:34 AM
OV-104

Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis

my dizzy was loose and it did that
Old 08-19-2008, 09:40 AM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by Scoutn757
my dizzy was loose and it did that
I'd be surprised if there was a distributor and coil packs.

Quick Reply: jerking when going highway speeds