VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   Installing exhaust this weekend.. (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/installing-exhaust-weekend-53126/)

themacuser.org 05-15-2004 06:34 AM

Re: Installing exhaust this weekend..

Generally speaking, I think the majority of this board would help you out if they were free and lived in the general area.
Just say "Pizza and beer" and call it a meet or something.
.. AND I'm sure no one would mind lending you a REAL jack and/or jackstands, a sawzall, etc. etc. You may even want to spend a few dollars on a jack and jackstands of your own instead of buying.. say.. an exhaust system. :)

THATS FRESH 05-15-2004 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by SignfcntOthr
It's gonna be about six bolts and four hangers. It's not that hard.

and 2? new gaskets. to get rid of that chance for any exhaust leaks.

get some jacks!

snozepp147 05-15-2004 08:42 AM

yeah the exhaust came with most of the necessary hardware. my friends bringin 2 jack stands and we might go buy 2 more. If i need any help with torching the catylic converter bolts off is there anyone here who could help me do that or would i need to take it to a muffler shop? thanks for the help. we're gonna start workin on it after school today.

snozepp147 05-15-2004 12:53 PM

alright, so we jacked it up and the pipe that connects to the cat is welded like you guys said it probly would be. so...what do i do now. does anyone on here in the richmond area have a torch or anything??

jjrambo 05-15-2004 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by snozepp147
alright, so we jacked it up and the pipe that connects to the cat is welded like you guys said it probly would be. so...what do i do now. does anyone on here in the richmond area have a torch or anything??

if you have the cash you can go get you a dremel tool and just cut the sucker off and drive it to a shop and have the new one welded there. I'll be loud on the way there but just put all the parts in the car for the new one and take it with normally a shop will weld that particular part for like 50 bucks. that the norm around here in norfolk.

Boosted2003 05-15-2004 03:43 PM

swazall.

snozepp147 05-15-2004 04:27 PM

i just took the catalic converter out with the welded pipe. had some trouble getting the O2 sensor off but finally did. so i put in all the of new exhaust. tomorow i'm gonna take the old one to a muffler shop and get the pipe thats welded to the cat cut off. then can i just bolt the cat into the new exhaust really tight or do i need to weld it?

jjrambo 05-17-2004 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by snozepp147
i just took the catalic converter out with the welded pipe. had some trouble getting the O2 sensor off but finally did. so i put in all the of new exhaust. tomorow i'm gonna take the old one to a muffler shop and get the pipe thats welded to the cat cut off. then can i just bolt the cat into the new exhaust really tight or do i need to weld it?

what you should really do is get a high flow cat. your changing the rest you micht as well get a high low cat as well

snozepp147 05-18-2004 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by jjrambo
what you should really do is get a high flow cat. your changing the rest you micht as well get a high low cat as well

yeah i was thinking about that. i'm having trouble connecting the cat back to the header pipe. its as tight as i can make it but there's about a half an inch gap between the two pipes. its not leaking but when i drove the car for the first time with the exhaust there was a rattling sound which was caused by the springs on the bolts being too loose, but i cant tighten them anymore. here's a picture of it.
http://www.superhonda.com/photopost/...04_053-med.jpg

Wildman 05-18-2004 03:19 PM

try spraying some penetrating grease or wd-40 in the threads and see if you can get some rust and other grime out of there so the bolts will turn easier.

question, how'd you end up getting the bolts off in the first place?